IGNORED

Rear Drum Brake Springs

ramsesosirus

Decided to change the rear brake shoes, I know they are due.  Was given the wrong hardware kit (springs/etc...) by the local parts store.  I have an "early" 1976 280z (by build date and rear compartment doors, no "raised board" panel.  Their parts database had the early vs late in 1975, when it was actually in 1976 when some things changed mid-year.  regardless, the question is 

How are the 1975-1976 280z brake shoe springs oriented?  The J hooks look odd.  Also, how can I install them?  Lots of force in the springs it seems. Do both springs install on the "outside/front" of the shoe?

I've never done drum brakes before, only disc.

Thanks

Are you using the FSM drawings?  You need a reference.

I install mine by putting all of the springs in to their respective holes, laying on the shop floor, then grabbing both shoes and folding them like a book.  Keep tension on them to keep the springs from falling out.  Place the proper contact points on contact points and open the book, pressing the shoes on to the backing plate.  The springs will stretch as you get things in place and the book will try to stay closed.  Then use a knee or a friend to hold them there while you install the little retainers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diseazd said:

72 Z.......but might help.

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

Thanks, great picture.  From what I've seen, the drum brakes are the same from 70-early 76, then the late 76-78 uses a different wheel cylinder and hardware kit.

I wondered how those bottom springs went on, the ends don't go the way a spring usually does (like the top one).

Also, all of the kits I've seen have 4 of the "cupped locking washers" (anti-rattle) instead of 2 cupped washers and 2 cupped locking washers (the washer on the bottom should be different than the top one, the FSM shows this also).

Thanks, should be enough to get mine back together!

See the pics I've attached from available kits and the FSM.  I can attest that the FSM is correct, mine had all original hardware.  I don't see how the "new" kit shown would work with the incorrect washers...

The third picture is what comes up on the Oreilly database if  you search for a 1975 280z, it gives two options (late and early), which is wrong since the late and early versions actually came in 1976, where some have the rear hatch "raised floor", and others don't.  Mine does not, it just has the 2 compartments behind the seats, with a manufacture date of Sept 1975 FYI.  

springs.jpg

fsm brakes.png

brakes kit.png

Edited by ramsesosirus
more pictures

Ah I finally found a kit that has the correct washers at MSA.  See the image, and compare with the others.  You'll see there should be 4 cupped washers for the back (2 per side), and 4 cupped "locking" washers that go on top of the spring and twist on the pin.   

right washers.jpg

Whoa but for that price, I might have to improvise!  The Oreilly kit is $7.99.....

Edited by ramsesosirus

Either of those washer designs will work just fine on the inboard side of the spring. They just cheaped out and used the same one for front and back locations.

If you're going for 100% originality, then have at it, but if you're just looking for functionality, you can use the quarter-turn locking washers on both sides of the springs. As long as they are large enough not to slip through the holes in the brake shoes (which I assume is the case), then it should be just fine.

2 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Either of those washer designs will work just fine on the inboard side of the spring. They just cheaped out and used the same one for front and back locations.

If you're going for 100% originality, then have at it, but if you're just looking for functionality, you can use the quarter-turn locking washers on both sides of the springs. As long as they are large enough not to slip through the holes in the brake shoes (which I assume is the case), then it should be just fine.

Sounds good, I think I'll do that or just use the original washer.

At least someone else realizes that they aren't the original design, Thanks