IGNORED

Tach wiring with Pertronix? No response from tach.

kayinsunz

Hey guys, back again.

71 240z is running great, but I cant get the tach to work. I have a .3 ohm Pertronix coil and Pertronix Ignitor. I have tried the stock wiring, and various other wiring, but to no avail. I did notice that there is a GW wire, a larger BW wire, and the another smaller BW wire wich is conjoined with a B wire via a coupler. Right now I have the GW on the front side of the ballast along with the conjoined smaller BW and B wires, and the larger BW wire on the rear side of the ballast along with the R wire from the Ignitor. The B wire from the Ignitor is on the - post of the coil and a small B wire connecting the + coil post to the front side of the ballast.

Sorry, I know it's alot so I will post pictures if needed. :huh: 

Any thoughts fine gentlemen?

Thanks,

C

Yes post some pics, if you are using a 3 ohm coil you don't need the ballast resistor. It has been 5-6 yrs since I did this but in my case it was swapping the 2 B/W wires around that got the tach working. This issue has been covered many times in the past and there are also some good wiring diagrams in the archives.

Thanks for the response. I will take pictures after work tomorrow. But the only thing confusing me is that one BW wire is significantly larger that the other. The GW wire is the same diameter as the larger BW wire. The smaller BW wire is skinny and conjoined with a same size B wire via a coupler. Will try to swap the two and see.

C

• 2 weeks later...

I think i can help on this.

Just re did all this wiring getting rid of unnesseary wires (those that are used for the points)

It is pretty straight forward.

Your Big black wire is from the ignition swith and is Ok on the rear side of the ballast resistor.

the red that goes to the pertornic is suppose to be ther also (Nothing else on that post)

In the front of the balast you have a green and yellow (this goes to the tach)

on the negative of the coil the black that goes to the pertronic

on the positive of the coil the black and White (this goes to the tach also)

That is it

Everything else is for the points and not required.

Good luck!

Edited by jeanp
oups mistake