IGNORED

Datsun Companion Flanges

First off, forgive me if this should have gone in the Parts Swapping forum, but since I'm looking for Datsun parts info I think this is a better place...

I am doing the Subaru swap, and while I totally understand what my options are with the axles, I'm less clear on what I want to do with the input end.

The Subaru propeller/drive shaft companion flange is different from the Datsun one. No surprise given the 41-year gap between their manufacture. What IS surprising is the sheer number of Datsun companion flanges that were used with just three differentials (r160, r180, & r200).

My first question is this: does anyone know if any of the other companion flanges will mate an r180 to a 240z drive shaft? I found one off a Skyline but the part number is 38210-P0103.

The stock one's part number is 38210-E7401.

There are about 10 million other ones that look really similar but are probably different by fractions of a millimeter here or there.

My second question is: What would you do with this situation if you could find a loose flange?

I can get a Subaru to 1310-u-joint adapter and buy an aftermarket driveshaft ($$$).

I can take the companion flange off my Datsun r180 and reduce my ability to sell it if I ever want to.

I can modify my existing drive shaft so work with the 1310 u joints (ouch!).

Haven't looked at this from the viewpoint of getting either a Subie LSD R180 or a Datsun R180 in the gear ratio I want (3:90) and then installing a Quaife the costs comes out to be nearly identical ($2,500.).

The next step is CV flanges (both ends) and CVs themselves which could mean removing the stub axle and all that work.

If your current spare R180 is in anything but a 3:70, 4:11, 4:38 or 4:44 it's not worth that much and you can always find an end flange at a later date.