IGNORED

Something's wrong, headlight switch controls my fan etc

moelk

Hi!

Took my dash out and put it back in. Everything workes except i can now turn my radio/fan/gauge lights on with my headlight switch. I don't need to have my ignition on to do this.

Can't turn radio/fan/ gauge lights on without having the headlights on. 

Maplight and the light in the roof (for open door)

workes as it should.

Anyone know what I have connected wrong?

Im Not familiar or anywhere close to good at reading wire diagrams so I really hope for an answer like "that colored wire should go to that colored wire" ; )

IMG_8943.JPGIMG_8945.JPGIMG_8944.JPG

Thanks

Hi, First, your gauge lights are normally going with your headlights..

The fan is a later modification?  if so.. it feeds from the radio fuse/wiring??  not good put that on a new fuse direct to the fan. 10A  should be enough.

The radio wire you have to find out yourself.. should not be to difficult.. starting from the radio's red wire.. at it's back...  :)

Well, your first problem is that when a circuit failed, someone decided to jury-rig a fix by tapping off of the white/red wire instead of figuring out what is wrong and fixing it properly.

Is your car a North American spec car? What year? The wiring looks like a 73. Please let me know so I might be able to give better suggestions. Do you know how to use a volt/ohm meter?

It will take some time, but we can figure this out.

Sorry!

Car is a American spec car (California), and it's a 73 model.

I have a volt/ohm meter but not good at using it.

The car did not have this issue before I removed the dash and I have not made any changes to the wiring. I just marked everything (obviously NOT everything) and just put it back together.

No problem. Now I can make sure I'm looking at the right wiring diagram. What I'm afraid of is that someone put in more than just the one wiring hack we see in your photos. We already know of one cross-linked circuit. There may be others. It will require a visual inspection on your part to identify where they are and what color wires are involved. The butt splices may help us in locating them.

When you took out the dash, were there any connectors already apart? If there were and you remember where, that may help us further.

43 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wow! Damn you're good!!   :excl:

Or I have a 73. :)

The 73 was the first with intermittent wipers, so the combo switch has a 9 pin connector on the headlight switch side.

5 hours ago, SteveJ said:

When you took out the dash, were there any connectors already apart? If there were and you remember where, that may help us further.

Not that I can remember (it's 2 years ago)

Have some loose wires here on the passenger side.

IMG_8950.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Still can't find the problem! 

In these pics it all workes "perfect" but the fan and radio only starts when I put my lights on. And therefore I get some overheating under the steering column.

IMG_8994.JPGIMG_8996.JPGIMG_8997.JPGIMG_9004.JPGIMG_9006.JPGIMG_9005.JPG