IGNORED

BRAKES LIGHT AND LEFT REAR FLASHER

jeanp

Hi, Another bizare broblem, my left brake lights and flasher do not work anymore. this is what i tested.

Bulbs OK, then I cleaned left harnest and connectors. did not solve anything.

So started diag. Did a lot of looking around and figured that left feed is green and red wire and left feed is green and black.

I checked in the from under dash right side there is a 3 pins connector with the green red (left) and green black (right) feeds.

I jumped the brake switch (no partner to do these test)

I jumped wired the feed green black to the green red  left brake light where on 

did jump wired green black to green black right brake light where on  (i presume my rear harnest is good from there)

tried jumping green red feed to both sides (no luck there)

test both feeds with a test light they both turn the test light on.

test those feed with mutimeter both equals 12.2 volts.

How can this be possible? I dont understand.

Anybody have a clue?

Ok did had a little drawing to explain maybe better.

So test i did is under the dash i unpluged the 3 pin connector and crossed connected

B to C to see the if my harness was good and actualy left brake light were bright as normal.

Note also everything other lights works. backup light, and night light.

Flasher do not work but i get same result if a cross connect it.

electric.tif

Edited by jeanp
had some info

Thank's for reply,

I have seen that post but it does not help me. I cannot figure why

at on the pdf from this page connector dash harness to body harness

I have 12,2 volts on both green red and green black

in the back at rear panels connector i got 11.x volts on both sides

a bit higher the side that it does not work (green red)

if i jump wire one side to the other right to left lights work.

If i do it on the connector dash harness to body harness  left side works

???

If you are getting random results that you can't figure out, the best thing is to stop and be methodical. 

Refer to the PDF file in that link for references.

Measure voltage to GROUND at the white/red wire at the dash to steering column connection with the brake pedal applied. You should be able to get the positive probe of the meter inside the connector enough to get voltage. You should get battery voltage there. If not, do the same test at the same connection on the green/yellow wire. If that test fails, repeat the same test, measuring the green/yellow wire on the 6 wire connector at the dash to hazard switch connection. Report your results.

If the first test passes, go to the dash to body harness connection. IIRC, that should be on the passenger side footwell. You can confirm this in the BE section of the factory service manual. Use something to weigh down the brake pedal, and repeat the same test on the green/red wire. If that test passes, move to the rear panel connection on the left side, and repeat the test on the green/red wire. Report your results.

Finally, make sure the brake pedal is not depressed. Check the resistance to ground from the black wire on the rear panel connection. Report your results.

Unless someone has hacked into the wiring harness, those tests should indicate where the problem lies.

Also, you did not say. Does the front left light work for the turn signals and emergency flasher?

Thank's for advises,

I will go further front as in dash to body (the one passenger side) the 3 pin connector there I get 12,2 volts on both green red and green black wires when brake pedal is pressed.

Front left flasher and hazard work fine.

I did not think of going further front as i get the right voltage at (dash to body).

Do this tonight i will be back.

On 11/07/2017 at 9:33 AM, SteveJ said:

If you are getting random results that you can't figure out, the best thing is to stop and be methodical. 

Refer to the PDF file in that link for references.

Measure voltage to GROUND at the white/red wire at the dash to steering column connection with the brake pedal applied.  (10,8v)  You should be able to get the positive probe of the meter inside the connector enough to get voltage. You should get battery voltage there. If not, do the same test at the same connection on the green/yellow  wire (10,9) . If that test fails, repeat the same test, measuring the green/yellow wire on the 6 wire connector at the dash to hazard switch connection  (11.18v). Report your results.

If the first test passes, go to the dash to body harness connection. IIRC, that should be on the passenger side footwell. You can confirm this in the BE section of the factory service manual. Use something to weigh down the brake pedal, and repeat the same test on the green/red wire (12.2v) . If that test passes, move to the rear panel connection on the left side, and repeat the test on the green/red wire (10.85). Report your results.

Finally, make sure the brake pedal is not depressed. Check the resistance to ground from the black wire on the rear panel connection. Report your results. (00.0)

Unless someone has hacked into the wiring harness, those tests should indicate where the problem lies.

Also, you did not say. Does the front left light work for the turn signals and emergency flasher?

Front flasher works.  emergency flashers work (not back left)

This started intermitently someday a guy told me nice car you have no left brake light.

Then i went to fix and everything was OK. checked it a few times was working ok. (this was 2 years ago)

Last year nobody told me anything and i can tell you people see everything on this car.

Then my wife followed me back from a guy who helped me (you know old Jim)  on fine tuning the engine and when i got home she told me no brake light on left side.

Ok found the problem

The problem was in the flasher switch. I saw on the pdf diagram that midle position hooked gy-wr and wb so when you push the brake there is 2 mechanical contact

pedal switch and the flasher switch. I disasembled the switch it is simple if you atemp this only concern is there is a litle ball bearing that sit on a spring that can be lost if

you do not take care. Do not even think of disasembly in the car. I did crank the midle connector give back life to this little spring while i was there and reasembled. Give it try Bingo.

I got brake light on left side back to work.

• 2 weeks later...