IGNORED

Does this damper/pully look familiar?

There is a young guy in the next town over from me and he has started the restoration of a 1971 240Z, the car came with an L28 in it with this pulley, I've never seen one like it but I have limited knowledge of the 280z series. It is the disk on the back I have never seen before.

DSCN1614.JPG

DSCN1615.JPG

Edited by grannyknot

Might be a 280ZX L28.  They run much higher advance and that timing tab has an extra 10-15 degrees over my 76, with AC, pulley.  The pulley diameters are different than mine also.  What are the block and head numbers?  F54 and P79 (or P90) are ZX. Edit - except 79 and early 80, which are still N42 and N47.

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks guys, not sure about the block yet but the head is p79, the seller says the engine has flat tops and was freshly rebuilt in 2013 and has not been started yet, 0 miles.  We removed the SU's and intake today before pulling the engine and there was gritty sand in the intake runners so I hope Alex (the new owner) is going to tear the engine down before starting it.

3 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

was freshly rebuilt in 2013 and has not been started yet, 0 miles.  We removed the SU's and intake today before pulling the engine and there was gritty sand in the intake runners so I hope Alex (the new owner) is going to tear the engine down before starting it.

That was prime time for California Datsun.  Is it one of his?  Known for sandy parts.  Part of the shining process.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

That was prime time for California Datsun.  Is it one of his?  Known for sandy parts.  Part of the shining process.

I thought the same thing but he would've called it a high performance lightened pulley, for race applications ONLY!

And the Panama Kid would have bought it then complained his car would stall in heavy traffic because of the crank pulley. LOL 

Edited by siteunseen