IGNORED

Proper Wiper Blade and Arm Color?

The wiper arms on my 77 are unpainted silver (stainless?), but the blade holders are black. I believe the blade holders are original (the two metal bar torsion spring style). They are metal, but painted or anodized black.

Anyone know what the 77 wiper arms and blade holders should look like? Should everything be black? Should everything be silver? Or is correct to have silver arms and black blade holders?

The finish on visible wiper components (arms, blade holders and nuts) changed from a bright stainless-type to black, from 8/76 on. So, for a 1977, a black finish on all the visible wiper components would be "correct". 

jerz is correct.   I liked the raw stainless look & converted mine a few years ago to the 240 style.  Purchased new nuts & blades and put the 240 arms on.   If I remember correctly, the blade mount was also changed from bayonet to pin style.

Thanks guys! So for 77, everything should be black, but prior to that, everything should be silver.

For me moving forward, it sounds like it really doesn't matter which color I go with, as long as everything is the same color. Makes me wonder why I've got a mix-match... Either my PO put earlier arms on, or the black finish came off over the years.

I'll take a pic or two of what I've got as soon as I've got a stable picture host set-up.

If you strip off the black paint, the components are "silver"-finish underneath. Technically, any car manufactured prior to 08/76 should have "silver"-finished components. 

That was what I was figuring. I could either paint my arms black, or I could strip my blade holders to silver. It's not like my car is a purist stock 77 to the year. It's already got lots of things that aren't quite year correct. Wrong color wipers wouldn't be the worst of it. Would certainly look better if they were all just the same color whichever color that may be!

I know that the black paint over "silver" applies to the original-style "wire" blades, like those in the images below, but that may not be the case on any replacement parts. 

26370-N3500 (wiper 5).JPG

26370-N3500 (wiper 3).JPG

Yup. That's what my blade holders look like. Thanks for the pic.

I gave my arms a good lookover and found small residue areas of black paint on the underside in the corners. So my suspicion is that they used to be black, and somewhere sometime along the way, that changed. Either it wore off over the years, or my PO bead blasted it off and missed some small spots on the back. In any event, the mystery is over, and my arms "should" be black.

Thanks again everyone for the input!  :beer: