IGNORED

Those running clear Dorman filters to their SUs

JSM

Can anyone tell me when if they are running the clear filter like the dorman, when the car is running is it completely full, 1/4, 1/2?

I know I have some junk in my tank but when the car is running mine is only 1/4, to 1/2 full. I know I've thought I've seen it completely full before but recently I've been having issues. Possibly my mechanical fuel pump is failing. I was going to switch to low pressure pump by the tank soon, but just wondering. 

IMG_0205.JPG

I've got one of those before the OE plastic one that mounts on the firewall.  I did it after cleaning and coating my tank so I could see if I had ant debris or "pink" gas from the Red-Kote.  It was always filling itself up when running, like it was always half full.  Then I finally figured out my floats were way off and after getting them at the 23mm mark that glass filter is always completely full now, while my car is idling.  It makes sense to me that if the bowls are full the glass filter should be too.  I don't have any filters before the carbs just 3 other ones. :D

One Fram G-2 coming out of the tank, then the glass filter before the original plastic one.  No screens on my banjo bolts either.  That glass filter is always spotless and a nice goldish color.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it, car runs better than ever. ;) 

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I've got one of those before the OE plastic one that mounts on the firewall.  I did it after cleaning and coating my tank so I could see if I had ant debris or "pink" gas from the Red-Kote.  It was always filling itself up when running, like it was always half full.  Then I finally figured out my floats were way off and after getting them at the 23mm mark that glass filter is always completely full now, while my car is idling.  It makes sense to me that if the bowls are full the glass filter should be too.  I don't have any filters before the carbs just 3 other ones. :D

One Fram G-2 coming out of the tank, then the glass filter before the original plastic one.  No screens on my banjo bolts either.  That glass filter is always spotless and a nice goldish color.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it, car runs better than ever. ;) 

Thank you.  I'm going to swap to electric and use the G2 as well, then a second before the carbs. 

"Supposedly", my tank was cleaned before I bought the car back.  There has been a lot of junk filling up the filter.  Put a new one on yesterday and it is filling again.  I may have to pull the tank again.

Anyone know if a 73' tank is a the same as a 71?  I have a nice clean tank from my wrecked 73 I could use.

I think the major change came in '75 with the advent of F.I. There were different pickup points inside the tank to avoid fuel starvation.. External dimensions were the same until the use of the compact spare in'76. Just being nit picky.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSM said:

Thank you.  I'm going to swap to electric and use the G2 as well, then a second before the carbs. 

You may be on their list too but I got an email from Zcardepot.com that has a 240/260 low pressure pump set up on sale for under $30. Check it out if you haven't seen it. Looks like a good one to me.

Get rid of that filter - they are junk. The filter assembly inside comes loose and blocks fuel flow. You won't suspect it because you'll see fuel in the filter . Take it off and see if it is coming apart inside

Something else I forgot to mention earlier, when I rebuilt my carbs and cleaned the tank I worried about debris getting into them since I had left the banjo bolt screens off. I googled "push lawn mower fuel filters" and found some UFO looking very small ones with the highest micron number? I think it was. Put one on each short fuel line from the fuel rail to the individual carb. Ran those for a few tanks then removed them, too many potential leak spots and it looked like $^!# with all those hose clamps on my cleaned up fuel system.

Similar to this but mine were clear. 

FTVP8X2I7RGMLID.LARGE.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

2 hours ago, madkaw said:

Get rid of that filter - they are junk. The filter assembly inside comes loose and blocks fuel flow. You won't suspect it because you'll see fuel in the filter . Take it off and see if it is coming apart inside

I thought the mr gasket were the junk ones and not the dorman? I had a mr gasket on before and it was collecting junk well. Didn't look like it was deteriorating. 

Nothing against you madkaw, but it seems everyone has an opinion on filters. Either fram is good or they suck.  I can't make heads or tails of everyone's opinions. I'm likely going to go back to the fram g2 as they have the 5/16" in/out and cheap.