IGNORED

CV conversion issues

NVZEE

There are definite misconceptions about these things that need to get cleared up, and the sooner the better. I hope Dave Patten chimes in and gives us the details on the design criteria, operating limits and maintenance requirements. At present, these details are not disclosed or discussed on-line or in the documentation you get when they are received. 

Dave is a fiirst rate stand up guy with a great range of products and fantastic customer service record, and I'm sure he is as anxious as anyone to clarify the situation.

255,000 KM on the ORIGINAL CV's on my Audi A4 AWD. Prop shaft has CV's as well. Oh... and they all have gaskets between the CV and the mating flange. FWIW.

If you split a boot on OEM Audi/VW's the honest shops tell you to just clean the original CV's and replace boot and grease. Don't buy an aftermarket rebuilt axle and CV assembly because they are never as good as the originals.  Some shops at VW/Vortex have had customers run over a year with a split boot on Audi's. No ill effects. My right outer boot was  was split for about 6 months ( That I know of  )  of constant work driving in Winter. Took it apart in the spring and it was as  good as gold.. Not a spec of wear. That was in Mar of 2008 at 158,679 KM. Car now has over 255,000KM on it. 

Pretty normal for Audi/VW  CV's to go 300,000 + KM with no issues.  You don't have to grease them as a part of scheduled  maintenance. 

Personally, If I was going to get some CV's for my Datsun 280Z, I would go to an Auto Wrecker  and pull the axles from an later model Audi or VW.  Pick A  Part in Chilliwack has CV axles for $34.95 CDN each. And they have a few Audi's in the yard right now. ( Ton's of VW's and Passats ). I was out there this afternoon. 

\

Edit: Thought I was posting this to the 510 Realm thread ... LOL 

Edited by Chickenman

I'd just get the splined half shafts manufactured to specification.  There are various shops that can do the job. Mark Williams , Driveshaft Specialties , The Drive Shaft shop, Moser Engineering ,  etc. They all make custom length splined shafts to fit CV's.... some are better than others. I know from personal experience that Mark Williams are very, very good. Some of the others...   not so much. Not much difference on a street car.  But  a 900 HP Road Racing Corvette separates the boys from the men. 

You can get a Custom pair of half shafts made for $350 and up. 

I do know that one of our local fabricators ( Andy Pearson at Specialty Engineering )  makes custom half-shafts in house. His driveshafts have been going strong on Keith Law's Turbo 510 ( 280 RWHP )  for well over 10 years. Keith is one of the few locals guys that has not had any issues with his CV's that I know of. 

Pretty sure Andy uses the OEM  Audi/VW/Porsche CV's.  Might be worth while giving them a call.  

Edited by Chickenman

I'm not seeing the junk yard Audi suggestion fitting with the $350 custom axles.  You lost me.  The CV still needs to be bolted to the flanges, inboard and outboard.

$50 per axle, with an endless supply, and some adapters might be worthwhile.

I have friends who are machinists . They can whip up adapters for me. End result is a custom made product with closer tolerances than what we are seeing on the Market. The junkyard half shafts are just to scrounge the good Audi/VW Cv's at an affordable price. . You keep the used CV's and boots and toss the actual shafts. Used OEM CV's are better than new " China/Taiwan... who knows where" made  junk

Quality axles are one of the key ingredients to making " clunk " free half shafts. Just as important as the CV's. 

$70 used CV's ( 4 )  + $350 custom half-shafts + $250 adapters = $670 or so.  That's how mosts of the Formula SAE cars are done as well.