IGNORED

BBQ

Patcon

30 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Alton Brown is my cooking hero.

My son now even records old Good Eats episodes and shows me things he wants me to make for him.  "You should make this for me" he says  :)

Mine too. The power drill hooked up to the pepper grinder was one of his finer inspirations.

I like that Alton explains the science behind much of the tasks. Understanding what's going on lets me port the concepts to other recipes. Like the difference between giving a man to fish, and teaching a man to fish.

If you understand the "why" in addition to the "what", you can use the same knowledge in other applications.

Alright so this is my first official smoke. Last week we really just grilled. This week is ribs. We were out of town yesterday and came home and prepped the meat last night.

A thin coat of olive oil and this rub on both sides

1tbsp Cumin

1tbsp Paprika

1tbsp granulated garlic

1tbsp granulated onion

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp Kosher salt

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp white pepper

Mix it all up dry. Refrigerate over night. I didn't get them out early enough to get to room temperature. Started at 10 AM

20170709_102456[1].jpg20170709_102500[1].jpg

Made some mods to the cooker per you tube and Google

Clamps, silicone to seal it up and seal at the doors. Borrow a ThermoPro TP-08 from a friend

20170709_101511[1].jpg

Edited by Patcon
Added the salt ;)
  • Like 1

I have been smoking meats for years using an electric MECO  water smoker. BUT, I have been converted to the Pit Barrel Cooker. Google it. It is a 30 gallon upright barrel, nicely finished, uses charcoal. I was totally amazed at the quality and taste of the St Louis-style ribs I made. They were incredibly good. A friend turned me on to this cooker and he has been using his for 6 years. he has smoked chicken, turkeys, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, salmon, etc. I am very happy with my purchase of this unit. FWIW, it was invented by a veteran of Iraq who came home to eastern Colorado with a case of PTSD and did the work to help him deal with that. It must have worked because it has become a very successful business. Their website has some really good videos and their customers are really happy with the results including me. "Happy cooking"

Cheers, Mike

1 hour ago, gwri8 said:

So what time should we arrive?  I skipped breakfast the morning.

Greg,

No telling how they will turn out, but you're not too far away. You could be here for dinner... Steve might be mad if you don't drag him along! B)

• Like 2