IGNORED

BBQ

Patcon

@siteunseen Do you need bail money today?

@Mark Maras What about these ribs?

As it's the fourth I thought I would tap some of you BBQ'ers to teach me this talent.

I bought a new smoker this week. I have never done any smoking but as my wife is from Texas and I love brisket I thought I should learn. I would also like to learn to do ribs.

So learn me something! B)

• Like 1

I have chuck eyes soaking in dark vinegar with EVO  salt pepper and a sprinkle of sugar. Pictures to follow! Raining now but not for long. Potatoes and onions with pineapple. Plenty of beer.

My 4th turned out great except no female, YET!

That  .  Grill gets their attention.

28 minutes ago, Patcon said:

EVO is whiskey?

Just finishing up grilling. The veggies, tenderloins and pork chops are already done. My youngest daughter wanted shrimp...

20170704_183213[1].jpg

Charles, now you've done it, it's hard to go back to a propane grill once you tasted what hardwood charcoal can do for the flavor, nice unit. Happy July 4th

11 minutes ago, charliekwin said:

Brisket, eh?

IMG_20170507_180453.jpg

My advice would be to wait on brisket -- it's probably the most difficult thing to get right. Start with a pork shoulder. They're damn near impossible to mess up, and also delicious.

That looks good. Yes, I know...I have a large pit and use to do a big cook for about 60 people but haven't done that in years. I still need to tweak the pit and get a digital thermometer. I tend to learn by trial and error. I thought I would start with some easier pieces of meat. Maybe some ribs...

What are you using for a rub? What are you cooking on? Run time? Cooking all unwrapped or wrapping near the end? What are you burning?

5 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Charles, now you've done it, it's hard to go back to a propane grill once you tasted what hardwood charcoal can do for the flavor, nice unit. Happy July 4th

Thanks, Chris

I have wanted to go back to charcoal for a while. I cooked for the family while out in Texas at my mother in laws on her charcoal grill. The gas grill in the back ground is all but rotted out so it was time to replace it. We heat with wood so I aught to be able to come up with some good wood for smoking...

Looking forward to learning...

I've only done a few briskets, so I don't have much experience to go by, so take it as you will...

For the rub, just kosher salt and black pepper (except for grilled tri-tip, for which I have a rub I really like, I almost never add extra flavorings to beef. Pork gets a rub, but it's also fairly simple as these things go). I generally stick with hickory for smoke and lump charcoal for heat. For brisket, I try to keep the temp between 250-275 and smoke unwrapped for ~6 hours, then wrap in parchment for the remainder of the cooking time (usually about 4 more hours). That's worked well for me thus far, though it's also possible that using prime-graded brisket -- which my local Costco sells for $2.99/lb! -- is more responsible for those results than whatever skill I have might be.

And my smoker...it's a little unconventional. I went the Alton Brown route and used some big terra cotta pots. Don't know why I can't find a better picture, but here it us with a pork butt. Usually there's a drip pan under there; I must have moved it for some reason.

IMG_20150525_152225.jpg

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

@siteunseen Do you need bail money today?

@Mark Maras What about these ribs?

As it's the fourth I thought I would tap some of you BBQ'ers to teach me this talent.

I bought a new smoker this week. I have never done any smoking but as my wife is from Texas and I love brisket I thought I should learn. I would also like to learn to do ribs.

So learn me something! B)

@Patcon There's unlimited recipes for sauces, rubs and different wood but the best advice I can share for barbecue (not grilling) is Low and Slow. Temp somewhere between 200` - 225` F and hours of cooking time. 3-4 hours for ribs, at least 6-8 hours for a brisket, minimum. To late for rib pics, tho.

Well, Charles, if Shelly has a hankerin' for some brisket, I'll let you know when I'm smoking some. It might be in a week or two. Like Mark said, "Low & Slow". Dale's marinade or dry rubs: they both are good. We started using a technique where we cook over halfway (I can't remember the temp.) and wrap in foil. Let it get up to the final temperature, pull from the smoker and let it rest for half an hour. Slice it up and try not to eat too much.

My approach to brisket is a bit unconventional but its worked well for me for many years.  I start with a packer style brisket - trim nothing.  Put it in a big roasting pan fat side up, dump a bottle of Allegro marinade all over it, cover and put it in a WARM oven overnight.  No rubs or other prep.  Next morning get the smoker (similar to yours) going with charcoal then switch to oak for heat.  When the temp is up to 250, remove brisket from oven and transfer to the smoker, fat side up, large end near the firebox.  Add mesquite chunks (or specialty wood of your choice) periodically throughout.  It usually takes about 5-6 hours at 225-250 to get the meat up to 195.  Remove from smoker back into the roasting pan, cover and let it rest for 1/2 hour.  Slice and serve!  The overnight prep really cuts down on the smoking time but I still get a lot of color and smoke in the meat.