IGNORED

alternator amps for 240z stock wiring ?

Stanley

Use of DIY stethoscope showed "box of rocks" noise during warm up is coming from the alternator. Guess a bearing is shot.

Stock alternator is 40 amp. The two from autozone were 50 amp. I see RockAuto has 50 and 60. A couple of voltage regulators have gone out in 7 or 8 years. I plan to get a 50 amp, any problem with that ? Any advantage or problem with 60 amp ?

Edited by Stanley

Do yourself a favor and make the upgrade to a 60 Amp internal regulator model. Use the MSA adapter or something similar. Unless it's a Concurs car, there is no reason to use a external regulator these days. And the quality of what you can get is usually suspect. Times change. BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to go to a 70 or 80 amp. Wiring doesn't really matter. A circuit only draws what it needs. Problem is the factory alternators were undersized to begin with.

Just an FYI:

USA and Canadian 240Z from 09/71 got a 50 amp alternator. ( 23100-P0102 and 23100-P4501 ). USA 260Z models received the 50 Amp model as well ( 23100-P4501 )  

Canadian models from 08/72 got stronger 60 AMP alternators. Both the  73 240z and 74 260Z  alternators were upgraded for Cold Area climate. ( 23100-N3302 and 23100- N3303 ).

60 Amp alternator became standard equipment on all Production  models in NA from 08/77 ( 23100-P3006 ) 

Source: http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/alternator/12v-50a

My car is 9/72 so 50 amp is stock then. Wonder if the Canadian 60 amp alternators had exterior regulators. Internal regulator seems better but ammeter needs to be swapped for a voltmeter, right ? Might go to 60 amp later but putting something in there Monday since the noise got worse.

I'm getting a new radio. Not a monster system by any means but might increase the requirement. I'm used to seeing the charge increase on the ammeter when I use a turn signal.

If I stick with external regulator I'll buy a one to keep in the car. Last time it went out with no warning. Was in Santa Monica. Triple A got it jump started and I made it to Autozone in the South Bay on the run-down battery and installed a new regulator. Wouldn't start of course so bought a new battery too.

Try and find a Solid State external regulator if you go that route. They are usually a lot more dependable that the Mechanical style and up the Voltage a bit. Stand Blue Streak used to make some decent SS External Regulators. And Beck Arnley is good in a SS as well. Problem is always the cheap Off shore junk that is made these day...

Edit. Rock Auto has a Solid State external V/reg ( E661 ) for $41.89. AC Delco is usually pretty darned good.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1973,240z,2.4l+l6,1209170,electrical,voltage+regulator,4884

You can tell if the V/Reg is SS by the height of the case. The SS V/regs are about 1/3 the height of the mechanical ones.

Edited by Chickenman

Well...  Quite few of our Local 510 guys have been running SS V/Regs for over 15 years with zero problems.  AC Delco or " Made in USA " Standard Blue Streak  Better Voltage regulation than the mechanical ones as well. The AC Delco's that I recommended are good quality.

Specialty Engineering, one of the premier Datsun engine builders on the West Coast, will install nothing but SS regulators on 510's... if the customer wants to retain the Vintage look for concours. He switches out the short SS V/Reg cover  with a re-plated Mechanical cover and the concours judges are none the wiser. Looks like a mechanical V/reg on the outside. All SS on the inside. Andy's been doing this for over 20 years with virtually no comebacks. 

Problem is...there are very, very few quality brands of mechanical V/regs these days.  Mechanical V/Regs haven't been used since the Mid to late 70's for a reason.  Nissan was late to switch over to SS internal regulated alternators. My 1973 Camaro came stock with a SS internal V/reg. That's 44 years ago....  

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Back in the day when i repaired lots of electronics..  If "solid state" stood on the radio or whatever...  i put it in the round archive as quickly as possible HAHA...   (round archive is what you would call the trash can..  ) :D

Was this WW1 or WW2 ? :D