IGNORED

original export model bumpers or replicas for a 1972 240z

jalexquijano

My 1972 240z has both the original bumpers and bumper guards. I have already rechromed the 4 bumper guards and they were finished nicely. Nevertheless, the chrome on the  rear bumper on my 1972 240z is already worn due to its age and lack of maintenance of its previous owners. Is it recommedable to rechrome the full bumper or should i buy a new one. The shop that rechromes in Panama charges US$275.00 and needs the cut the bumper as it does not fit completely in the chroming tub. I have read that the new ones have issues and are made in taiwan and not the same size and quality as the original ones. Is this true? They also have fitting issues!

vg_800.jpg

Edited by jalexquijano

The rear bumper is bolted in three sections, center bar and two ends. No need to cut it!!! The middle section is fairly short. If their tanks can't handle the center bar then they are not a very professional setup! If they can't handle the three pieces find someone else!

Not only that, when they reweld it there is no way to protect the new welds adequately, since they can't plate it!

Edited by Patcon

Since I've never bought a Z bumper, I don't have a recommendation. I believe there are a few different styles in the early Z bumpers using different length rubber strips with holes in different locations. You may need new rubber strips with a new bumper. Those can get expensive. Hopefully others who have bought aftermarket bumpers will chime in.

Maybe I don't understand the chrome shop's process. I'm picturing cutting the bumper, plating the three pieces in their small tank then welding it back together. I understand the welds are covered by the bumperettes (guards) but what coating is on the welds? Am I missing something about the process? Have you seen any examples of their work?

I don't know that correct reproductions are available. You could buy stainless and never have to worry about them again...

Stainless bumpers have their issues also. It al comes down to what you want and expect. A concourse quality re-plater will charge $1000 + for just the bumper without the over rides on an already straight bumper. Metal work can double the price.
We each have to try to decide how much we are comfortable committing. Personally I have owned original, after market and a set of stainless I had shipped from Europe. I have never been totally happy with any although most have been acceptable to most observers.
It's like everything we buy, buy the best you can afford and check out the source.

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile