IGNORED

1970 240Z on eBay with Low VIN?

lonetreesteve

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, 240260280 said:

Looks interesting. White w Blue is pretty.  The other White & Blue ate VINS around 360 and 370 so I would guess the VIN to be around there.

The seat belt clips seem like from a very early 69 along with the hand throttle however the plastic bellows/elbows that route air into the top rail in the engine compartment are from a later Z along with the horizontal defoggers and hood  bumpers.

Lots of good parts there but the body is ripe.  Dash looks nice.

$1000 hubcaps

$1000 radio

$3000 dash

$1000 center console

$3000 engine and transmission

$9000 car as is.

Do you think these prices are optimistic?  I have a couple of Series 1 cars that I would part out for that!  Curious what the group thinks.

1 hour ago, JLPurcell said:

It's my new project! Steve thank you for your original sharing of this ebay find. I originally went to see it due to it's proximity to me thinking parts car at best due to the perception of rust having taken over. I found that the rust you see is the rust you get with the exception of just above the frame rails in the front wheel wells. The floors are solid the fuel tank looks solid. I attribute this to sitting inside the heated garage. Original wheel covers, within the first 5000, all original parts intact. I am stoked for the restoration of this series one car. This is an original owner 50,000 car with a story to tell. Would this be considered a "Barn Find"?^_^

Reminds me of the old story - "Gotta be a pony in there somewhere!"  Glad to hear you found your project.  With your hoard of parts, the car may already be half-finished. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loudoun said:

Do you think these prices are optimistic?  I have a couple of Series 1 cars that I would part out for that!  Curious what the group thinks.

Correcting for the month:

$1000 hubcaps

$1000 radio

$3000 dash (uncracked, 1500 cracked)

$1000 center console (with ashtray)

$1500 engine and transmission (500 for valve cover)

$6000 car as is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

It's my new project! Steve thank you for your original sharing of this ebay find. I originally went to see it due to it's proximity to me thinking parts car at best due to the perception of rust having taken over. I found that the rust you see is the rust you get with the exception of just above the frame rails in the front wheel wells. The floors are solid the fuel tank looks solid. I attribute this to sitting inside the heated garage. Original wheel covers, within the first 5000, all original parts intact. I am stoked for the restoration of this series one car. This is an original owner 50,000 car with a story to tell. Would this be considered a "Barn Find"?^_^

Congratulations, Jerry!  That's great to hear that everything went well with your negotiations and you were able to purchase the car. To purchase an original owner 240Z is an extremely rare occurrence these days, especially a very original 1970 with a sub-5000 VIN and only 50,000 original miles. I'm also glad to hear that the rust isn't that bad and that you will be able to restore the car.  Please keep us updated and post some pics when you have time in the near future. 

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the car this evening, loaded it in a driving rain. Had to remove the front calipers and drag the rear wheels, could not free up either end.  I was soaked to the bone. I will post some pictures as soon as possible. I need to assess the overall condition and make decisions on the possibilities. It has all of the original parts down to the original battery cables. I did pull the spark plugs, (positive thinking), and sprayed some BP Blaster down the cylinders and put the plugs back.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2017 at 5:27 AM, loudoun said:

I would not be parting out early 240z's but I'm glad folks do as it gives me a chance to get parts :D

Congrats Jerry. Let me know if you want a Rally Clock for this 1? :D

9 hours ago, Gav240z said:

I would not be parting out early 240z's but I'm glad folks do as it gives me a chance to get parts :D

Gav, I agree. I cringe at the thought of the Z's that I have had to part out in the past. If after assessment of this car I decide that it is not a project for me I would offer it up for restoration prior to any consideration of parting out. The rarity of a unmolsested one owner low VIN# Z warrants all opportunity at living on.....

• Like 1

I met with my body man this afternoon and we took a cursory look at the car. He on first look says that he believes the car is very restore-able. The sold floors and frame rails were the key. I am now looking to see what sheet metal can be found. I need to find a set of rust free front fenders. I had posted in the classified want page a week or so ago with no luck. Anyone out there with a set of New or rust free Used?  

I had a few minutes this evening to do some cleaning and inspecting of the Z. I will try and post some photos Sunday. I removed the passenger seat and crawled up in the rear to work on getting the rear hatch open. Once I did that I clean out the rear and inspected that area. The passenger floor is in great condition from the inside. The rear deck is also in great condition, there are some rust issues in the bottom of the spare tire well two minor places from first look. The rear hatch rear deck has some rust developing on both sides but no rust through. I did remove the rear interior trim piece and the rear hatch interior cover. It is interesting that the interior trim dog legs have never had the plastic protective cover removed. I need to work on the rear brake drums and get the car rolling.  

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:05 AM, Gav240z said:

I hate the thought of parting out Series 1 cars, but some are too far gone to be saved.  I have several that I am on the fence about.  However, I picked up an auto Series 1 that is a goner.  I just have not gotten around to it.20160731_160608_resized.jpg