IGNORED

Rear bushings

Dave WM

I plan to refresh the rubber on the rear suspension soon. Got OE inner bushing, new spindle links, did NOT get new outer bushing (thought I had them already). Thinking I should get a new OE diff mount but was waiting to see how mine looks when I get under there. The hope is the spindle links will come out using washers as spacers (draw them out with the nut and washers). Will post up some video when I get into it. Any hints?

Edited by Dave WM

prob will do that CO. I just popped for the diff insulator too, I hate getting started on a project and not having the part to finish, can't hurt to put a new one in anyway. I remember way back when I was a poor college student working on a motorcycle I would freeze bearings and put cases out in the car under the rear window in the middle of summer to use temp related expansion and contraction to aid in otherwise press fit parts.

just fixing the front strut made a huge improvement. I did NOT replace the front control arm bushings, they seemed fine, but when I get the press I will do those as well, I have OE rubber on hand for them.

19 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Any hints? Yeah... Buy a hydraulic press. Even if you don't need it for the spindle pins, it makes easy work of removing the old bushings and installing the new ones.

You know you've wanted one for a long time anyway.  :)

Missing my 12 Ton Hydraulic press. Didn't need it very often... but when you did, it was a life saver!!

Had to sell it when Dad passed away and we had to sell the family home. That was my workshop for decades. Kind of hard to set up a shop in a 2 bedroom apartment...  although I've made a good attempt. 

So far so good, I started by removing the center pin that keeps the spindle from spinning. then removed the rear nut, the front one would spin the pin, so clearly it was not frozen. I put the center pin back in just enough to hold it still while I removed the second nut.

I wanted to see if it was going to be a problem, I put a nut back on and tapped it with a BFH and it started right out. Before I went any further I disconnected the brake cable/hose loosed the inner mount clamps, disconnected the sway bar from the control arm. I figure wanted all the stress off the pin, so don't want to fight any loading. Next up will be the half shafts, letting the PB blaster soak on them. Also while waiting I shot some in the pin hole (plugged the bottom) and the openings to the spindle pin. Have a jack under the assy to take the weight off the mount insulator, beside holding it when I remove the 3 top nuts, I just don't like the suspension hanging on that rubber mount. Have not started the other side, but its supported as well for the same reason.