IGNORED

Hood not lining up correctly

yogii1990

Hey guys so i recently purchased a 280z hood for my 71 240z and upon bolting it up saw that it wasnt lining up correctly at all, am i doing something wrong here? Also i noticed that my original hood had some cutouts where the bolts would go almost looked like it was to slide it either up or down from one side more, not sure why,

Ive attached some pics so you can see what im talking about, any advice and tips help greatly thanks guys!20170624_170432.jpg20170624_170444.jpg20170624_170456.jpg20170624_170522.jpg20170624_170806.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I used the same size spacers, folded cardboard pieces,  on both sides and loosened the bolts at the hood hinges to get it straight. Don't loosen them too much though or you'll fight it all day. Learned that the hard way.

Edited. Your's look like a fender alignment issue maybe?

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2

Try to pull the hood forward until it lines up with the front of the headlight buckets. Those slots on your original hood are not stock, someone elongated them to get the hood to fit and you may have to be duplicated on your new hood, they are for front/back adjustment of the hood.

• Like 1

Yes it fit right and im replacing just because i liked this on better, no body filler or bending,

But i did forget to mention that this hood i put on was pulled off of a 280z that had been in a wreck (hit from the side) the hood looked fine but now im starting to think its warped somehow.

1 hour ago, yogii1990 said:

Should i have my hood closed when i slide the hood forward?

Yes, but you will want to remove the hood latch so the hood sits flat and you can see the relationship between all of the panels, after you get the hood into a position you like tighten the bolts equally on each side a bit at a time so everything stays the same relative position then re install the hood latch and line it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your original bonnet / hood mounting holes have been elongated drastically! I'd say your car likely had a small love tap in it's life and someone frustrated trying to get the bonnet alignment right modified the holes to get it to sit right. Getting hood alignment right on a S30Z is 1 of the worst jobs out there I reckon.

I've had a hell of a time fixing mine. (It was hit in the front and I repaired it) but I'm still not happy with it and being a perfectionist I may actually just start with another hood.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12272-separating-bonnet-skin-and-frame/page-3

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 6:18 PM, yogii1990 said:

Hey guys so i recently purchased a 280z hood for my 71 240z and upon bolting it up saw that it wasnt lining up correctly at all, am i doing something wrong here? Also i noticed that my original hood had some cutouts where the bolts would go almost looked like it was to slide it either up or down from one side more, not sure why,

Ive attached some pics so you can see what im talking about, any advice and tips help greatly thanks guys!20170624_170432.jpg20170624_170444.jpg20170624_170456.jpg20170624_170522.jpg20170624_170806.jpg

The main thing that you are failing to judge is you are trying to fit a part on a car with a 7 seven year build date difference. Our cars grew in almost every dimension year upon year and many body panels are simply not interchangeable. Trust me I have some late 72 doors and they never fit right on my 1970 #6333. These cars were as close to hand made as possible and still employ the assembly line method. Bumpers being the one exception I can think of at the moment. I have taken many apart and no two are alike inside and out. The best I could suggest is find another hood closer to your build model. Mind you the early hoods trapped lots of moisture and were prone to rot. A Z parts salvage might be an option. It looks like a previous owner had the same issue. It may eventually work but with much modification. If the two connecting points for the fender at the base of the wind screen are bolted down there is almost no way to compensate for gaps by moving the fenders. The hood that will properly fit yours does not have vents and is a different distance from the base of the wind screen to the nose. I have a hood for my 1970 but it is currently being revived also. Many people don't like them but I'm leaning towards a carbon hood for mine and paint it to match. No more rust issues but fitment could even be an issue with those. Anyway good luck!