IGNORED

Need tie rod end nuts (locking nuts) for 71

timsz

Take the tie rod down to ACE Hardware. They have a ton of fasteners. I suggest stainless steel nuts. It can be the same width or wider you have plenty space. Be sure to count the turns as you remove the tie rods. It should be about 21.5 turns to remove it. Same amount going back on. Have a proper alignment done when you can. Also a good time to replace steering rack boots if needed. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 9:46 AM, esmit208 said:

Take the tie rod down to ACE Hardware. They have a ton of fasteners. I suggest stainless steel nuts. It can be the same width or wider you have plenty space. Be sure to count the turns as you remove the tie rods. It should be about 21.5 turns to remove it. Same amount going back on. Have a proper alignment done when you can. Also a good time to replace steering rack boots if needed. Good luck.

Ace is the best for fasteners.  You can buy them individually.  Done it many times.  Unless you're going for 100% original, but who's going to know?  "Wait, that tie rod locking not isn't original!".....  I would get one that is a little "wider", my 280z one is pretty narrow, more room for the wrench would be better and wouldn't effect anything (except for the FSM measurement).   Just changed my tie rods also. 

To temporarily align it, I used the "string" method, paired with dual measuring tapes to get it close.  Bad alignment will eat tires.  But it isn't some black magic that only shops can do: it does involve a lot of jacking up, rolling, jacking up, adjusting, and so on.   HTH

Edited by ramsesosirus

14 x 1.5 LH and RH is the tie rod adjuster thread size.

Belmetric has them or a speed shop that sells rod ends if you have trouble finding the LH one.

Edited by zKars