IGNORED

Speedi-Sleeve or Not?

KenFirch

Finally getting back to getting my engine back together. I noticed some decent groves on the damper/pulley, and wondering if I should use a Speedi-Sleeve. My trusty Tom Monroe engine book doesn't mention anything about them. And if they are used, the seal is riding on a bigger OD which may fail the seal sooner. Or should I try to place it in the cover at a depth where it avoids the grooves, like I did with the rear seal. Attached is a pic, what do you think?

Also, the factory color for the water pump pulley is black, right?

Thanks, Ken

IMG_1981.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bought my 77' the PO said it used about a qt of oil every 700 miles.  Turned out the that quart of oil was going out of the front seal as evidenced by a Exxon Valdeze type goo all over the front half of engine.

I used a redi-sleeve with a new front seal and it worked perfectly.  I've got around 3-4K on it and no leaks yet.  Was yours leaking oil from there before the build?

Sorry, don't know if the factory pulleys were painted or not..

I'd go with a speedi- or redi-sleeve.  I eyeballed my rear seal on my current engine and decided that since it was dry and didn't show signs of leaking that I would avoid the minor hassle of replacing it before installing the engine.  But it had been sitting 0 years, in a parts car, and the seal has started leaking, and it's getting worse.  Wish I would have put the extra effort in to making it better when I had the chance.  Your part is much harder to replace if your pseudo-fix of positioning the seal doesn't work.

I don't remember it leaking before, just trying to avoid future problems. I guess I'll go the sleeve route. Anyone have a part number for what works? Damper shaft is 1.889" x .60" long (260z block). Or a Z vendor that sells them? Thanks.

15 hours ago, sfm6s524 said:

Finally getting back to getting my engine back together. I noticed some decent groves on the damper/pulley, and wondering if I should use a Speedi-Sleeve. My trusty Tom Monroe engine book doesn't mention anything about them. And if they are used, the seal is riding on a bigger OD which may fail the seal sooner. Or should I try to place it in the cover at a depth where it avoids the grooves, like I did with the rear seal. Attached is a pic, what do you think?

Also, the factory color for the water pump pulley is black, right?

Thanks, Ken

Rock Auto and Amazon have the sleeve.

The water pump pulley should be bare cad plating.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...