IGNORED

Removing emissions clutter for cleaner look?

kayinsunz

Has anyone here ever removed the emissions mess above the intake manifold on their L24? There is no emissions required for cars older than 30 years in my state, and I love the look of my engine bay save the emissions vacuum line maze. What do you think?

emission removal2.jpg

emissions removal1.jpg

Very do-able.  I went a step further than plugs - replaced my balance tube with one that is smoothed and polished, only a single vacuum port for the brake booster.  At some point I'm going to add a port to the balance tube for my vacuum advance, rather that using the carb port.  Dump the smog pump and attachments as well.

nice I'll have to look into a polished balance tube but for now some gold trimmed plugs will look quite nice. There is also two vacuum lines from the air cleaner down to the bottom of the block it seems? What are those for? Do you guys know?

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Yup! Brass plugs from Lowes worked for me. I'll look and see if I still have the wrappers with the sizes. But you can google it. At least that's what I did.

1497475086375.jpg

How did you get you intake manifold and fuel lines all polished like that?

• Like 1

I bought a cheap blasting pot from Harbor Freight and bead blasted them.  It turned out so nice but made such a mess I went back and bought a blasting cabinet that sits inside my garage and uses a shop vac to suck the dust out.  I am playing with new blue jeans and making them look aged now, I get bored. :)

After blasting I used a high heat satin clear coat for aluminum.

Edited by siteunseen

12 hours ago, kayinsunz said:

nice I'll have to look into a polished balance tube but for now some gold trimmed plugs will look quite nice. There is also two vacuum lines from the air cleaner down to the bottom of the block it seems? What are those for? Do you guys know?

I'm just getting up so still a little fuzzy but I can only think of the two hoses on my air cleaner box that connect to the over flow bung on the float bowls of the carbs.  I'll look later and let you know for sure.  There is a vacuum block mounted below the coil but I'll be damned if I can remember what it does right now?