IGNORED

Need Front Windshield Dimensions

Hardway

My DIY windshield replacement project is off to a rough start.  This evening I went about installing the new Precision gasket before doing anything on the the car.  Once I got across the top I felt I had a problem but went ahead and pushed the rest of the gasket on thinking the arc in the glass would take up the slack.  It did not!  If anyone has a windshield sitting around can you give me some reference measurements?  I need to find out the glass is too small or the gasket is too big.  The windshield is a FYG piece that is made in China, part# FW241.  Based on what I can find this a good quality replacement and a seller on Ebay has sold 56 of them.  Any help with some measurement numbers is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

NewWS01.jpg

NewWS02.jpg

Hardway, 

I have a stock Nissan windshield out of a parts car. It has a sizable rock chip in it. I took some straight measurements across the arc at the top and bottom, and one up the middle.

Each has a wide angle so you can compare in the same location, and a close up of the measurement. 

I hope that helps you out. 

middle 21 3/4"

middle.JPG

middle close.JPG

Bottom 55 3/4"

bottom.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

Top 48"

IMG_1530.JPGIMG_1531.JPG

Thank you so much for the info and tips guys!  Thank you Terrapin Z for all the pictures.  They are a great reference!  One of the local Z club members had an original Nissan windshield out of his '72 240z.  I went and measured it earlier today and compared it against my new one and they match to the 1/16th of an inch.  So it is definitely the gasket.  I have contacted the seller about returning it and getting a refund.  With this experience using the Precision gasket I am hesitant to buy another one, leaving me with buying a Nissan gasket as my only other option.

I will start making some calls on Monday to see who could do the install for me.  I already got one quote which was $125 from a local company and will get a few more for due diligence.  I don't mind spending the money and if I run in to a major snag when trying to do the install I can go this route.  I just feel others have been successful doing this on their own and I feel I have nothing to lose by trying and taking my time when doing so.  I will keep everyone posted.

Good news.  The seller gave me a full refund and apologized.  I am going to work to get another seal but unsure if I can receive it and get it installed before ZCON.  I would hate for something to happen this close to the event and not be able to drive the car.  I am going to call Courtesy tomorrow just to see what a Nissan seal costs.  If it is outrageous then I will order another Precision seal and hope for the best.

I just spoke to Jimmy at Courtesy.  He knew exactly what I was wanting and said he has been through two of them from Nissan.  Unfortunately what Nissan sends is a foam rubber almost generic looking seal.  It is definitely not the windshield seal we need.  Based on what he has seen the seal is truly NLA.  Precision is now the only option so I will buy another one and see how it goes.  

@Hardway - caught your post on FB for CZOT.  I paniced as I have a glass guy showing up Thursday and I'm handing him the trim and gasket.

I bought my Motorsport gasket set in 2009 and it didn't get to me until mid 2011 as it was badly back ordered.  Finally going to install it...  ZCON, we'll maybe.  No motor yet.  I dry fit the old Precision gasket to the windsheild frame and it looked a little small similar to @240260280 describes.  This is what the bag looked like.  Looks like it was manufactured in July 2009.  Also test fit the rear hatch glass.  Real real tight...

BTW - I remember when you sold your first Z project way back in the day.  That must have been rough.

201706-WindsheildGasket.jpg