IGNORED

Are All Door Hinges the same?

TomoHawk

I would like to replace the hinges on the driver's door of my '78.  On eBay, you will see them listed as Datsun 240z 260z 280z RH side door hinge set so you either ignore that one or look into the microfiche, which I don't have any more.  Sometimes the later models have a similar part but are different than the earlier ones.

In stead, I'll ask if they are all equivalent.

thxZ

Let's start with the problem that 240 hinges attach to the body with bolts from the inside (hinge has threaded holes), while 280 hinges attach with bolts from outside the body (bolts pass through hinges, into threaded body plates).

Me thinks the ebay ad is thus somewhat misleading.

You can drill out the 240 hinge threaded holes and "make" 280 hinges out of them. Using 280 hinges on a 240 is more problematic. (Weld holes and rethread). I believe all the doors and bodies share bolt count and location.

Kits exist to re-bush/re pin your hinges. unless they are broken or missing the springs, just do that

Edited by zKars

21 minutes ago, JLPurcell said:

I don't know for sure, but it seems that the early Series 1 cars were slightly different. I do not know it they were still interchangeable. JLP

I'm sure that they interchange but the early ones work differently. Lemme see if I can find a pic... It's something like this.

060.jpg

Chuck

• Like 1

OK, thanks guys.

The wheel came off earlier, so somebody just drilled it out and put in a pin, and the little arm was rubbing on that, so maybe it  threw things off a bit and now it's time to fix it all correctly