IGNORED

Fuel tank needed

David F

Not sure if posting this request here is allowed, but I need a fuel tank.  The tank in my '1972 240Z, that was stored 15 years prior to my purchase, is Swiss Cheese.  Started welding in patches, but I think it is a futile exercise as the metal is thin.  I fear that when I acid wash, more holes will surely show up.  So, anyone have a salvageable fuel tank they want to sell? 

I have decided to attempt to repair my tank...I definitely may fail.  So far, I have been concentrating on the more difficult places on the top side of the tank.  I have welded in a few patches and have tried to weld up smaller holes.  I have probably used a 1/4 of my wire spool chasing thin metal.  So, basically replacing rotted metal with weld wire metal.  It gets tricky when doing this near the leaded in pick-up/vent tubes.  Almost done with the top side...

So, I have to weld up all the holes before I can even attempt to acid wash the interior of tank which will more than likely open up new holes and then back to the welding...ugh!

Update:  I failed at finding all the pinholes and welding them up.  Welding of pinholes just created more pinholes.  So, I welded in metal patches at larger holes and ignored pinholes.  The tank leaked like a sieve.  So, I stripped all the paint from the tank and applied a coat of epoxy resin over the entire tank exterior.  This plugged all pinholes and allowed me to acid wash the interior of the tank.  Next step is to line the tank with Red Kote.  But, I found a tank on Ebay from a salvage yard and purchased it for $350.  The reasoning is that I am concerned about the integrity of my rotted tank in the event the car gets rear ended.  The metal is so thin, that I think will easily rupture instead of folding/bending in the event of collision.  Bad news is that I spent probably 32 manhours on the tank so far.

Hope the Ebay tank is in much better shape.

6/19/17 update:  Received the Ebay tank and it was in decent shape apart from a few dents in the bottom.  Took soap, TSP, Acetone, and gasoline to get the old fuel and gunk out of the tank but afterwards, the inside was in decent shape.  The metal is solid.  So, the original tank that I ultimately got leak free is going in the trash as I feel it is too unsafe to attempt to sell or even give it away.  One more Z tank gone.

Edited by David F