IGNORED

Ceramic Coated Headers vs Original Stock manifold

jalexquijano

I had to fully remove my stock manifold in order to replace the 3 studs that bolt to the downpipe of the MSA Exhaust kit. Anyhow, I was wondering if replacing this stock manifold with a ceramic coated header will solve my fuel percolation issues? How much difference in temperature between the stock manifold and the ceramic coat headers? Any pros and cons? How about issues during traffic jams?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic19c/15-6012CH

This one looks amazing! Maybe it could radiate less heat than the stock manifold. Any cons???

Edited by jalexquijano

I have used both.  On the lime green '72 I had the exact same ceramic coated header.  On my '71 I still have the original case iron exhaust manifold.  If you are having fuel percolation issues, getting a header won't solve the problem as it will still be just as hot if not hotter.  Make sure the heat shield is in place under your carbs and that your mixture is not lean.  A lean mixture will raise your exhaust gas temperatures thus making the manifold or header very hot.  If you are planning to modify your engine or race it, a header is the way to go.  If your engine is all stock and you just plan on cruising and driving enthusiastically, the iron manifold is just fine.  If you still have everything apart, clean the manifold and paint it with some high temp paint.  Let us know what you decide to do.

still thinking! the fuel bowls on both carb get really hot at idle during traffic and traffic lights. I even installed some thermotec heat barrier adhesive to the heat shield extensions that face the manifold and both float bowls get horribly hot thus causing percolation!

• 1 month later...

everything was checked. I did discovered my 240z required a coolant reservoir tank as it was disposing all the coolant inside the Champion 3 row radiator. I had to install a provisional coolant tank from a corvette. But plan on getting this one:

http://www.championradiators.com/2x10_overflow_tank

Edited by jalexquijano

• 3 weeks later...

Those headers sure look nice on my car! As far as the fuel percolation problem goes, I've decided that some of the Z's just run hot. Or they all run hot and only a few of us complain about it. :mellow: Here's what I've done so far, but haven't got the car back on the road yet... 3 row Champion radiator, electric fuel pump, dual electric fans from MSA and Evans coolant https://www.evanscoolant.com/. Not quite ready to get my car back on the road after sitting for the last 13 years. Hopefully in another month I'll be ready to put "fire in the hole".

• 4 years later...