IGNORED

To buy or not to buy...that is the question

motorman7

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of my wife's complaining that we don't have room for another Z (or another project), or take arms against that sea of troubles and let this car pass to someone else.  

Yes, I am faced with the conundrum of deciding on whether to pick up another Z.  Tough call on this one.  The car is in many pieces right now, but would not take much to get running.  Of course I would tear it all apart anyway and re-build from the ground up.

The good:  The car is very original with minimum rust (just the right rear dogleg is rusted through).  The frame rails and underside are dented but in decent condition.  I love the color combo. interior vinyl and seats are in very good condition, original radio, original motor

The bad:  paint is crazed and in bad condition, dogleg rust, cracked dash, minor dings.

Wife is out of town now, but will be back in a couple days.  I will see what she says when she comes back.  The price is right.  Maybe I sell one of my other Z's and pick this one up (I hate to do that)  I need a Ouija board or something to figure this out.  tough call.  Pics below

240z_auto_1 (1).jpg

Exterior_DS.jpg

Engine_AC.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

Interior_Hatch.jpg

Interior_Console.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of my wife's complaining that we don't have room for another Z (or another project), or take arms against that sea of troubles and let this car pass to someone else. 

As the Bard sort of said, "To buy, or not to buy.  That is the question."  It's always the question.  The Z looks good if it doesn't adversely impact your personal or financial life.  On the other hand, it's really easy to acquire too many projects.  Ask me how I know.

Dennis

1 hour ago, psdenno said:

As the Bard sort of said, "To buy, or not to buy.  That is the question."  It's always the question.  The Z looks good if it doesn't adversely impact your personal or financial life.  On the other hand, it's really easy to acquire too many projects.  Ask me how I know.

Dennis

Yes, It is easy to accumulate projects.  If I decide to buy it, it will probably sit as is until September or October.  No time to work on it until then.  Financially it is not a big issue, space is the bigger problem.  I already have one of my Z's at my mother-in-laws place, 3-car garage is full.  I need a car barn.

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

Maybe it could be explained as a "Welcome Home" gift. Assuming she doesn't have her name on a Z title, this could be her golden opportunity. What a surprise!

Surprisingly she was cool with the roadster which I keep in the garage.  So you never know.  Probably not best to 'surprise' her though. :-)

If you really want it, ask the wife first.  Focus on how much they are going up in value and just how little this one needs to get running again.  Be prepared to offer something she has been wanting.  Whatever you do, don't surprise her with it.  Wives don't like surprises, unless it is wine or chocolate.

17 hours ago, Hardway said:

If you really want it, ask the wife first.  Focus on how much they are going up in value and just how little this one needs to get running again.  Be prepared to offer something she has been wanting.  Whatever you do, don't surprise her with it.  Wives don't like surprises, unless it is wine or chocolate.

This is definitely sage advice!  I completely agree and will take this approach.  Looks like @Montezuma can set me up with a place to store it.  This is starting to look possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motorman7 said:

This is definitely sage advice!  I completely agree and will take this approach.  Looks like @Montezuma can set me up with a place to store it.  This is starting to look possible.

This is sounding like a near done deal thanks to Montezuma. You'll probably get "That Look" when you discuss it with your wife but that's OK as long as she agrees.

15 hours ago, Patcon said:

I brought a surprise Z home once. It was in the backyard for about a month before she noticed...:P

That's funny, I don't think I could get away with that.

Anyway, wife comes home tonight.  I will see if she would like to check it out tomorrow if the owner will let me stop on by.  I think this would help as the owner lives in Ranch Santa Fe, one of the nicest areas in So Cal.  I took the Hyundai when I checked it out originally and was completely embarrassed driving it in that area.  I think if I take her there in the roadster, that would go a long way.  The area is absolutely gorgeous.   Just part of the 'winning her over' process.  I mentioned it on the phone when we talked and did not get a negative response, so we will see how it goes.   As @Hardway mentioned above....there will be concessions.  I'm good with that.