IGNORED

1972 240Z Blower Fan

52crankman

I just purchased a TYC blower assembly to replace my original assembly.  However when I compared it to the original the fan impeller blades are facing the wrong direction (see photo: original is on left and new on the right).  Does anyone know if you can replace the fan impeller with the proper facing blades.  If not, do you happen to know if TYC makes the same blower assembly with the correct impeller.

DSC02724.JPG

Is your fan cracked/broke or are you trying to get better air flow with a modern design . I have a few spare stock fan's if you just need a replacement.

Might also checkout Spalusa.com for motor and fan options.

Edited by zKars

From bench testing, I found that the impellers from my 70 Z (impeller made of metal) and my old 72 Z (impeller made of plastic) weren't terribly sensitive to which direction they were rotating in. When I inspected the impeller from the Honda Civic blower that I had bought mostly for its more modern motor, I discovered that its blades were oriented in the opposite direction to the Z impellers.  I also discovered that the Honda impeller was very direction-sensitive and -- when turning in its preferred direction -- was both more powerful and quieter than the Z impeller.

My conclusion:  The Z impellers aren't a particularly good design.  Recommend you try both your TYC and original impellers in the Z blower casing, just like I did. That will let you choose which one you like best (for output and noise) and will also tell you the direction in which it needs to rotate to produce best results.

You could reverse the power and ground wires.  It's a DC motor and will run fine backward, I'd assume (might even get more life from the brushes).  The blades are designed to create a pressure differential from the inside to the outside, I don't think direction matters as to how it happens..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 52crankman said:

However the blades are curved and will not provide maximum air flow running in the wrong direction.

I meant the direction the blades spin didn't matter as long as the air was moving in the correct direction.

That's why you reverse the power and ground wires, to reverse the rotation direction of the fan.  Making it spin the right direction instead of wrong.

Man, this site is slow....

Edited by Zed Head