IGNORED

Fuel Pump relay/fuse question

tabaka45

I'm new to the site and tried to post the following last week.  However, I think it showed up in my profile instead.  In any case, if anyone can give me some advice it will be appreciated. 

I have kept my '80 280ZX stored at my mother's house and generally start and drive it every 3-4 months. Sometimes I have to use a little starter fluid, but usually not. Last week it would not start even with starter fluid (although it did start until the starter fluid was consumed). It appears that I am getting no power to the fuel pump. By connecting the fuel pump directly to the battery I have confirmed that it is working. In my manual I see 3 fuel pump relays, two under the hood and one inside, but I see no fuses listed, which I assumed was the problem. Is there a way for me to test these relays, and is there a fuse some where?

Your first post is out there.  Probably didn't get a response because you're already in the right place - the manual.  The wring diagram shows the circuit, with any fusible links or fuses, and the EFEC chapter shows a test procedure.  

Plus you had the pump connected to power and running.  Did the engine start correctly and stay running then?  If it didn't then the problem might not be the fuel pump power.

How far do you drive it every 3-4 months and how long have you been doing that?  Enough to refill the fuel tank within a year?  Maybe the fuel has just gone bad or collected condensation in the tank.

It did not start, however, it would fire with starting fluid--at least until the starting fluid was burned.  Since the fuel pump is not coming on at all there is no fuel getting to the engine.  I thought the fuel pump might be bad, but when connected to a 12 volt sorce is works well.  I'll look at the EFEC chapter and see how to test the relays.  Thanks for your reply. 

Start the engine using starting fluid when the pump is connected to 12 volts.  See if it keeps running.

The pump only has power when the key is Start or the engine is running.  So, unless you have excellent hearing, you don't know that the pump was running when you tried to start it.

Some 280ZX's have a 5 second prime when the key is turned On, but it often doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it started.  All that was apparently necessary was to remove the relays under the hood and reinstall them.  Apparently there was some corrosion--which I couldn't see- on the terminals.  In any case it fired up.  However, we barely made it back to Brunswick, about 60 miles.  As it turns out the fuel filter was almost completely clogged, the distributor cap had a couple of small cracks, and the fuel regulator diaphram was torn sucking fuel directly into the intakes.  Parts are on order and hopefully it will be in good running condition shortly.  Then to the body shop for an estimate.  
Thanks for your replys.  

• Like 1

Sounds like age is catching up on your fuel system. I would replace all the rubber hoses to, while you are at it.

Remember it's running at a reasonably high pressure and a leak can spray a lot of fuel in a short time. If a fire starts, it's generally the end of it. Would be apitty after the body work.

Good point.  My mechanic has it now and we will probably do that before starting on the body work.  Right now we are working on getting it in perfect mechanical condition.  It has 134,000 miles on it, but the engine is solid.