IGNORED

Checking exhaust leak without burning your hands

jalexquijano

Anyone knows if the water and soap spraying or the hose and funnel method works to find exhaust leaks at the manifold to downpipe union? I replaced this gasket with felpro gasket and still get popping at exhaust on deceleration with the msa premium exhaust stock manifold kit

I think the water will evaporate immediately. I use a 3' - 4' piece of garden hose as a stethoscope. It's a very effective method for sourcing noises. You'll be able to get one end of the hose down by the gasket while remaining clear of the hot manifold.

You need a better quality mechanic.

Edit - actually that might not be a broken bolt.  It looks like a ratchet extension.  Still, a good mechanic would have seen the broken exhaust flange stud and fixed it.

Yes, you should get three new studs and nuts and a better mechanic.

Edited by Zed Head

Ditto on the new studs, lock washers and nuts. You'll also want to coat all the threads with anti-seize. None has been used on the old studs in your pic. (Shame, Shame) Another possibility to ensure there's no trouble with removal in the future would be brass nuts on steel (maybe stainless) studs. Before you tear it apart, how about clamping the side of the flange with the broken stud with vise grips and listen to the degree of change. Should be easy to reach from above.

been down this route recently. will need to remove the manifold which means removing the intake 1st then the exhaust (at least on a EFI setup) then take to a machine shop and get them to remove the broken stud. Lastly new studs on the down pipe, fix any broken studs in the head (a lot of care and a reverse drill bit with a drill guide). Then a new manifold gasket. If you are ham handed then better leave it ALL alone.

the way to get the exhaust nuts off the down pipe would be to heat with an oxy acetaline torch. No short cuts here. If you don't have the tools or the expertise then better to not try.

Edited by Dave WM

i already order a three set stud with nuts from zcardepot on ebay. Wish i could get a stainless Steel set or something that could hold up more heat. I also ordered a new Felpro Manifold to Downpipe gasket.

Yesterday i checked for leaks on the other unions of the pipes and did not found anything. Car keeps popping on exhaust. Trying to get used to it!

The MSA PREMIUM EXHAUST Kit came with an Xcelerator Turbo Muffler:

http://www.apexhaust.com/product/automotive-light-truck/muffler/xlerator-big-max-turbo-mufflers/

Edited by jalexquijano

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-14 at 3:45 PM, Dave WM said:

been down this route recently. will need to remove the manifold which means removing the intake 1st then the exhaust (at least on a EFI setup) then take to a machine shop and get them to remove the broken stud. Lastly new studs on the down pipe, fix any broken studs in the head (a lot of care and a reverse drill bit with a drill guide). Then a new manifold gasket. If you are ham handed then better leave it ALL alone.

the way to get the exhaust nuts off the down pipe would be to heat with an oxy acetaline torch. No short cuts here. If you don't have the tools or the expertise then better to not try.

While trying to extract the broken stud the extracting tool broke and now my mechanic has to remover the manifold completely. We have noticed that 3 years ago when the air galley was removed the former mechanics did not removed the guides and just installed new bronze bolts to cover the holes. Ill take pictures of them and will post them for your opinion

20170527_143908.jpg

20170527_143824.jpg

20170527_143807.jpg

Edited by jalexquijano