IGNORED

FS: Restored Inspection Light

jfa.series1

Restored inspection light with the open slot on one mounting foot and 12V 8W stamp on the top of the case.  Newly replated (yellow zinc) case and switch nut / washer.  No dings or scratches on the case.  New lens and rubber gasket from 240ZRubberParts, new grommet for wiring port.  Switch disassembled, cleaned, lubed with dielectric grease.  Includes buyer's choice of replated sheet metal screws (suitable for 240Z fender mount) or hex bolts for other vehicles.  $85 includes shipping within CONUS, payment via PayPal.

Light01.jpg

Light02.jpg

Light03.jpg

Light04.jpg

Light05.jpg

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Patcon said:

What cars would have had the early style?

To the best of my knowledge the 240's, possibly 260's.  All the later cars I've seen had closed slots on both sides, do not have the 12V 8W stamp.  Still - this might be a situation of whatever was in the parts bin as a car came down the line.  This case is from a 240, matches the original unit on my car.

My 77 280z has the "later" model. I just checked two others I have, one from a euro 260Z, and one from a 280Z, and they both are the "later" model.

See photo of spare units

I didn't know there were two variations.

20170511_195016.jpg

I will check the one on my car and also the NOS I have and see which ones they are. The one on my car would have been installed probably in 2012 when the restoration was being completed. I don't know the time period of the NOS one I have. I will post pictures tonight. If they are different from Jim's I just might have to add this to my collection. JLP

Let me try to add a bit of meat to the bones.  For those members familiar with some of the date codes used by Nissan and it suppliers, see if any of this contributes.

This unit has the code 341M stamped at the end of the closed foot; another case I'm working on has 2Y1M stamped at the end.  I have a case with both ends closed that has a stamp 583M; two other cases this style have no stamped codes.  All of the cases have the Niles stamp on one foot.  Ideas???

Edit: additional info - only the two cases with the open foot have the 12V 8W stamp.

Edited by jfa.series1

More grist for the mill: the online catalog shows the P/N as 26740-89904, effective for all S30's and no preceding or superseding versions.  A friend has a NOS unit with a P/N 26740-10W00.  A bit of searching came up with this P/N superseding 26740-89901 & 26740-89904.  I used my OE light and what I have found on parts cars to form the idea that this was an "early version" of the light.  The posts by @7tooZ and @Terrapin Z suggest another answer: Niles was producing two styles of the light concurrently and Nissan was mixing them in the parts flow with a common P/N.  With no functional difference, multiple P/N's would have no meaning.  At some point Niles dropped the 12V 8W stamp, eliminated the open foot version, and later dropped the stamped codes on the mounting foot.

I've updated my original post to remove the "early version" comment.  Thanks  for all the comments.

JFA Light.jpg

• 2 weeks later...