IGNORED

What is this?

70 Fairlady Z

It's a photo scan I posted here on the 18th of December 2009.

I can't help but point out that the answer to your question is easily answered in the thread in which the image was originally posted, but somehow I doubt that's where you found it - right?

It's a photo of a prototype. I think Carl Beck would like to believe that it refers to 4 cylinder engine capacity (2400cc='240', 1600cc='160) but this prototype is well past the stage where the planning for a 4cyl S30-series Z was dropped.

'160' refers to the rated PS of the S20 engine (160ps), so it's a dropped prototype emblem for what became the '432'. Font type and paint scheme matches too.

It's likely that the '160' idea was dropped when the '240' moniker was adopted for the L24-engined Export market cars, as the higher CC-based number would make it look like the L24 was more powerful than the S20. There's a subtext in that the '160' moniker was quite possibly the inspiration for the '240' moniker, unless people are happy to believe it was picked out of thin air...?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RHDNISSANDATSUNDUDE said:

School me - how would I have found that image in the plethora of forums on this site?

That's a chicken and egg question. "If you want to get there, then don't start from here..."

I'd start by working backwards from where you right-click-and-saved it from.

This internet/world wide web thing was a good idea when it started, but it's been going to hell in a hand cart ever since I tell you...

1 hour ago, RHDNISSANDATSUNDUDE said:

Thanks! Was not found on Classic Z Cars. School me - how would I have found that image in the plethora of forums on this site?

Let's not get our trolling lines all tangled up.  Where did you find that image?  And what is the real question?  Are you asking what a Fairlady Z 160 is?

Exceedingly obvious that it's a picture aka image.

That image comes from the February 1970 issue of "Car Graphic" magazine, a Japanese publication, page 58 of an extensive article on the design and prototype development of the S30.  We have seen many images scanned from that article.  The picture is attributed to the development stage of July / August, 1969 (prototype P6 and P7).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

That image comes from the February 1970 issue of "Car Graphic" magazine, a Japanese publication, page 58 of an extensive article on the design and prototype development of the S30.  We have seen many images scanned from that article.  The picture is attributed to the development stage of July / August, 1969 (prototype P6 and P7).

And the article makes it clear that the '160' emblem related specifically to the 432, and not anything else, so I don't know where any confusion or counter theories come from?

Original picture caption also points out that the pictured emblems were hand-made aluminium and paper mock-ups, and that the size, style and location of emblems had to accommodate the requirements of panel production, as stamped holes needed to be in a one-size-fits-all configuration.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Thanks.  This one - http://backissues.com/issue/Sports-Car-Graphic-February-1970

siteunseen had the best and most direct and informative answer, I think.  And he didn't even add a comment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

siteunseen had the best and most direct and informative answer, I think.  And he didn't even add a comment.

Three cheers for siteunseen, then. He's clearly our last best hope.

Next time I need an explanation for an image I've uploaded I'll cut out the middleman and go straight to him.

• Like 1