IGNORED

NEW product, Strut Mount Spacer. Opinions please

As a 280Z owner I've found out that Nissan no longer produces the taller REAR STRUT INSULATORS needed for these models. Although some people opt for the 240Z and 260Z insulators (those are the same for front or back) the rear of the 280Z will drop about 0.75" if the shorter insulators are installed in the rear. ZCar Depot has just made available a billet aluminum spacer which (when placed atop the shorter 240Z/260Z insulator) will make up for the needed height.

I'm concerned that (in spite of maintaining OE suspension geometry and stance) a metal spacer in direct contact with the car body will not function as effectively as a vibration isolator as the original rubber/metal Datsun part did.

Would appreciate other members take on this new part.

Dave

PS: I was fortunate to source a pair of OEM rear isolators from Jim (S30driver) which look almost brand new!

https://zcardepot.com/suspension/rear-suspension/upper-strut-mount-spacer-240z-260z-280z.html

These spacers are available in the 4x4 world all over the place for raising (leveling) a truck out.  I've heard great things about the billet spacers & am looking at a set for my xterra, although I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I would have to think that this will resolve the problem you face with the rear sitting lower in the 280z

37 minutes ago, Jarvo2 said:

These spacers are available in the 4x4 world all over the place for raising (leveling) a truck out.  I've heard great things about the billet spacers & am looking at a set for my xterra, although I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I would have to think that this will resolve the problem you face with the rear sitting lower in the 280z

Agreed, but will it increase vibrations transmitted through the strut towers?

I cant imagine how it would increase vibration.  The original insulator is currently mounted against a solid surface in the strut tower.  After a spacer is installed, the insulator will still be mounted against a solid surface bolted to the strut tower.  So either way, the insulator is mounted against metal.

But I will find out soon enough.  I saw those things and bought them right away.  They haven't arrived yet though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 87mj said:

But I will find out soon enough.  I saw those things and bought them right away.  They haven't arrived yet though.

I think you make a valid point however it seems to me that you would be decreasing the amount of rubber and increasing the amount of metal in the "new"  isolator design compared to the original 280Z larger isolator. Regardless, we will have a direct impression through you soon. Please report back.

Edited by dmorales-bello

• 1 month later...

Ok I admit I procrastinate but I got them on today.  I went for a test drive and  I didn't feel any difference in increased road noise.  Maybe even less but I am sure it was my imagination.  Less noise seems impossible to me. I felt more confident running down hilly back country roads knowing I wouldn't bottom out. Also I have a 240z and always liked the stance of a 280.  My personal preference and opinion is it looks more balanced with a modest rake in the back. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to get them installed.  The first side was most of the time.  The second literally took about 20 minutes since I knew what I was doing.

Here are the steps:
Jack the car, remove the tires and strut caps.

Unbolt the brake line mounting bracket (this will prevent you from opening up the brake lines)

Unbolt the axle (half shaft?) from behind the hub. This will allow the strut assembly to fall without stressing your brake lines.

Unbolt the 3 nuts holding the top of the strut in place.  Hold on to it since it may fall loose.

Install the spacer

Press down on the brake drum while putting it back up into place. I needed assistance for this step.  

After the strut is bolted back on to the car, reinstall the brake line and axle.

I should note the bolts in the spacer are somewhat loose.  I could see unbolting the nuts at the rear deck causing the spacers to spin so I put locktite on those and tightened them down as well as I could.