IGNORED

Brakes stuck

papabear

Hello.... Was hoping for a little help.  My neighbor just passed away, and went over to his house I found an original 240z in his garage.   I talked to the people handling the estate and I bought the contents of the garage including the Z .  Its a 1971 mustard z.   Original paint ( has blemishes ), and a one owner car.  I didnt get it too cheap!

I can't get it out of the driveway for a few days.  I released the e brake and the brakes are still on..  Im not sure when the last time it moved.  Oil filter says 2009 and the last registration is from 2013.  Feels like the brake might be stuck, but i guess it could be any of the brakes.  Can someone tell me where to start to get the vehicle able to be pushed.  

I appreciate any help.. Im totally new to z cars, but have been in love with them since I was a kid and my brother had a 1970. 

Thanks again and looking forward to sharing the z with everybody.

Most likely the rear drums are stuck. Spray the heck out of them and bang with a rubber hammer.  May have to unhook the ebrake cable?

I'd soak them and bang them then try pulling with another vehicle. Be super careful where you tow from, don't use the rear bumper even it still has the strapping hooks. They were for shipping not towing.

• Like 1

If you're only moving it next door, a couple of cheap Harbor Freight dollies under the rear wheels might work.

The BR chapter of the FSM shows how the brakes work (see link below).  You can see the mechanism behind the rear wheel. if you crawl under the car  It's usually the rear brakes, not the front.

http://www.classiczcars.com/files/

Under your car the cable from the e-brake pull handle connects to a U shaped cable that runs to both sides of the rears. you can unhook it there easiest. Or each rear tire.

When you pull up on the ebrake handle is it tight? If it's not your drums are stuck to the shoes.  Soak them with wd-40 and bang them with rubber hammer. You might even catch a jack on the drum fins and break them loose ?

Let us know how it's behaving, maybe some other suggestions from members. That very common for when they've been sitting. 

Thanks so much for the replies..  Im going to try what you guys have said at the end of the day tomorrow.  I wish next door didnt mean 75' of dirt, or id just roll it on jacks or wheel dollies..  Ill send an update tomorrow, and will include some pics of the new ride. Thanks again for the help.

IMG_3061.JPG

• Like 1

How exciting!  If you don't know when the engine was last turned over it might be a good idea to remove the spark plugs first and squirt a bit of oil into the cylinders before trying, there is a whole prodcedure that one of the members here wrote up on bringing back an engine that hasn't been started in a long time, I'll see if I can find it.

It's a beauty.

The color code said 920, so Im assuming thats safari gold.  Paint is actually very nice .. has a few dings and touch ups but should show really well if I get it running..

Im going to go over after work and see if a friend and I can make any impressions on the brakes..  I read all the procedures to do before starting and plan to follow all of them..  Thanks again and ill update after I try...

I once made the mistake of leaving the parking brake on for a long time. Fortunately, I was able to persuade them to cooperate with a firm push on the car.

You can download a 72 FSM (71 isn't available) from the link in my signature. That way you'll be armed with information specific to the 240Z brakes. I think there were wheel cylinder changes between 71 & 72, but enough of the information in the manual should be the same.

• Like 1