IGNORED

Electric Servos Instead Of Vacuum Driven HVAC

Captain Obvious

My car came without A/C and I'm working on adding it. I had originally planned to use my manual control head to run the system, but this does not work. The manual cable driven control heads are completely incompatible with the A/C evaporator box as they both want to occupy the same space. I had to swap over to a control head designed for A/C. That itself is not a big deal.

What IS a big deal is that the A/C control heads are vacuum driven instead of cable driven and I really really didn't want to plumb my car with all those vacuum lines. Check valves, that white tank in the engine compartment, solenoid valves, rats nest of vacuum tubing under the dash... I really, really, really didn't want to do that.

So instead of installing all the vacuum parts and tubes, I put switches on the control head and converted over to an electric servo from a Honda/Acura HVAC system to control the air distribution instead of vacuum motors. Here's the end result. Works like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggrks_xJAB8

Note the crappy shaky camera work... My second video ever.

Way cool;) You realize, of course, that the orders for a kit are going to be rolling in.

How long did you sit and watch it work. I would have cracked a cold one to fully enjoy the experience.

Edited by Mark Maras
  • Like 1

So that's what was shaking the camera back then? That's why those lucky guys used "tripod mounts"?  LOL

Well my phone has been dead silent on the order front, not ringing off the hook with orders as you would expect... I guess the multitude of people adding A/C to their Z's are happy adding the vacuum system. I'm clearly the outlier!

21 minutes ago, zKars said:

Very nice work.

You realize you have to post wiring diagrams, and part numbers/ year/make/model of the Honda you borrowed the servo's from, don't you?

Yeah, what he said.

I've got all that info somewhere... I've also got lots of still pics. I'll post more details shortly.

As a side note, completely unrelated to this thread... I don't have any idea what I'm doing on Youtube. Does my other video show up for you guys or do I have to explicitly send out a link?

It's comparing my original stock beeper and my replacement pleasant sounding chime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6iRmpYgjI0

My son asked me about "My channel" and I said "My whaaaat?" He walked away shaking his head and wouldn't answer any of my questions after that . LOL

• Like 1

Following. Although I have my Vacuum system working 99% right now. Still a little problem with heat control sensitivity, but I think that's because I have a seized or leaking Automatic water valve.  I wonder if that can be updated? Hmmmm.....