IGNORED

Driver's Side Tie Rod

How does a search for "tie rod" in the suspension and steering section turn up 0 hits?  The server may be having a bad day.

My tie rods and other components need replacing but I can NOT back off the locking nut of the outer tie rod end on the driver side.  I snapped a wrench on this thing and this after hours of soaking with liquid wrench.  Is it possible that the driver side is reverse threaded?

Thanks, guys.

9 hours ago, mentalite said:

Sorry, guys.

The search didn't work but a simple scroll down the page did.  I see that it is reverse threaded.

I try to remember that the right is "right" and the left is "wrong". It's like bike pedals and crank bearings. The left side lug nuts on my Road Runner and AAR cuda are LH thread. The other day I struggled for a few seconds to remove a lug nut. LOL

Chuck

2 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

I try to remember that the right is "right" and the left is "wrong". It's like bike pedals and crank bearings. The left side lug nuts on my Road Runner and AAR cuda are LH thread. The other day I struggled for a few seconds to remove a lug nut. LOL

Chuck

That's why this somewhat puzzles me, Chuck.  Reversing the threading counter to the spin as in the left side pedal spindle makes sense.  I see no reason for it here.

2 hours ago, mentalite said:

A quality Far Side reference is always welcomed.

Always!  :)

So I wasn't there when they designed the thing, but my read on the thread directions is just to make it more "intuitive" to set the alignment. I don't think it's an accidental loosening thing like they sometimes do with lug nuts.

• 5 months later...

Stock driver's side is reverse threaded. Nissan doesn't make left side parts any more.

I am currently looking into where to get inner and outer tie rod ends and the only place I'm seeing the inners is Z Car Depot, and I have no idea who makes them. I do know they aren't OEM. If anyone has another source, please let me know.

Another option is getting a remanufactured steering rack, but I don't know if those would be reverse threaded on the driver's side. I'll post when I have more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile