IGNORED

Anti-glare dash paint

TomoHawk

I tried searching, because I presumed this should have been discussed several times. 

I tried a test panel with some BBQ grill paint, but that soaks up oil from your fingers and would look really bad in a car.

Is there such a thing for a vinyl dash in black?  I want it to be absolutely flat, without any sheen at all. I suppose the Florida or Arizona owners would know this well.

The local AP stores only have VHT in "wrinkle" which is still a satin finish, or they have no idea what a flat anti-glare paint is.  :ermm:

Edited by TomoHawk

I wish I had known about the Trim black long ago, but the store I was shopping didn't have it or anything similar- just Duplicolor products.  the doors on my city car had back windowframes, but now they're almost grey.

But no worries.  I'm getting a new car very soon.  No it's not a Datsun.

The SEM product information says it comes in satin, so I'll take that as non gloss satin, and probably less glossy than what's already on the thing....

I'll browse through the other local stores, such as NAPA and Oreilly's to see what they have, and maybe the Home Depot.

Edited by TomoHawk

I made a test panel using Rustoleum High Heat BBQ Black.  It dried quickly and had a non-glare finish.  It was called "BBQ Black" but it's not even close to black!  It's not even close to charcoal.  It was like a dark grey primer. 

I'm not sure I will use it on the entire dash, because I was getting fingerprints when handling the test panel, and fingerprints are bad, especially in a car you'll be using during the hot& sweaty summer, and some bozo may even try wiping the thing with ArmorAll, thinking he's helping you get more points for a show.

If the Trim paint can hold up to fingerprints, like a vinyl paint, and some light scuffing, like from a GPS setup or a computer mount, then it'll be worth the $13 a can.  Vinyl paint also do that, but you can't get it in flat black.

And it seems that every black automotive paint is made with gloss...

Edited by TomoHawk

What do you guys think about using a black latex paint?  Can you get it mixed with a flattening agent?  It'll be flexible, and usually it hold up to fingerprints and household chemicals or waxes...

Darn, I drove by TWO NAPA stores today.

Edited by TomoHawk