IGNORED

No flashers or turn signals

Yaboyolin

Hey guys, final issue on this car before its all ready (besides bleeding tbe breaks). I have no turn signals or hazards. Not flashing on the dash, no lights. It seems like the wiring all goes through the hazard switch. I have power to the switch, I think its a green wire. But out of the switch I have no power at all. Doesnt matter whether its on or off. I also have no power to the flasher units. Either of them. Fuses are good. Connections are cleaned. Will a new hazard switch magically fix both issues? Or am I missing something here?

The switch is kind of a mystery.  SteveJ and CO have dug in to it.  Looks like power starts at a fusible link, passes through the fuse box then a flasher, then to the switch.  And in the diagram I attached, I'd guess that the switch needs to be active to get power out to flash the lights.  I think that there are other diagrams showing how power is routed through the switch for other functions.

Anyway, the power input wire for hazard flashing is green with a blue stripe.  Then actuate the switch and green/red and green/black should have power.

Search "hazard switch" and their names on the site and you might find some threads.

@SteveJ

@Captain Obvious

77 hazard.PNG

Edited by Zed Head

I'll echo Zed's comment about that switch being a mystery. A PO mutilated the wiring on my hazard switch and just jumped a few of the connections to make it kind of work. I tried to fix it, ended up with no lights at all, and spent 30 minutes trying to decipher wiring diagrams before going on eBay and getting a used switch for $20. That fixed everything.

Yes the fusible links are all new, the old ones had deteriorated. The fuses are also new and the correct amperage. Ill double check connections tomorrow though and use the wiring diagram Zed provided to check everything with that

I haven't torn apart a 280Z switch, but the concept is probably similar to the 240Z hazard switch, only with fewer wires. https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/early-hazard-switch/

When the switch is on, the green and green/yellow wires are connected. Green comes from the fuse box, and green/yellow goes to the turn signal flasher. With the hazard switch off, you should be able to measure 12VDC to GROUND at the green/yellow wire at the turn signal. If not, check for 12VDC to GROUND on the green wire at the hazard switch connector. If you have 12VDC there, the switch is the issue.

For the hazards, check for 12VDC to GROUND on the green/blue wire at the hazard switch. If you don't have voltage, check for 12 VDC to ground on the red/white wire at the hazard light flasher.

Report your results or post questions if you don't understand the instructions.

What he said.

When the switch is OFF, G connects to G/Y.
When the switch is ON, the other three* signal wires all get connected together (G/B, G/R, and G/L all connected together).

* The other two wires (G/W and R/L) are for the illumination lamp inside the switch and have no impact on any function other than making the switch glow when you turn on the lights.

Hey, Jai had the periodic dimming of gauge lights recently with her Redbird and after looking at the diagram I realize that a short after the flasher, or at the Hazard switch on its flasher circuit, could cause the flasher to actuate  without being connected to any lights and without burning the link, because of the flasher resistance..

What do y'all think of that?  I'm not sure where the turn signal flasher is but it might have the same possibility.

• Like 1