IGNORED

When and Where did You get yours?

esmit208

I was in deep thought the other day after watching and reading Sweaty's build and a thought occurred to me, I have had my 240 23 years. WOW!!!! Without being too wordy it was in the back lot of Redondo Beach Z World on a mechanics' hold. I had an 82 ZX that had the engine rebuilt there although at rebuild time it as in better shape than I thought. So I went in one day to check on progress and he let me wander around in his back lot. There it was, hadn't been driven in over 7 years but it was complete. Not a single body part was missing and the interior was complete. I made him an offer of 2K and he accepted. This was the summer of 1994. I always wanted an S30 but had no idea what rebuilding one took. The floors had a bit of cancer but at least I didn't have to pull a Fred Flintstone to stop it. I decided to move back to Florida to go back to school so it was shipped to a really good Z guy I know in Large Florida and he received it and did some basic work on it until I got back from Los Angeles. I got to Florida to pick it up in the spring  of 1995. Did a refresh job and had it painted it's current color (Boston Gruene 275) in 2000. Drove it for 5 years until it had a main harness BBQ in 2005. Currently up on jacks in the garage and getting fresh metal underneath and anywhere else it may have needed it. New floor rails and lots of work in the wiper motor cowl. The plan is to have it running again later this  year. Enough on that. How about a little history about yours! We would love to hear about it. WOW 23 YEARS!

IMG_20140101_192655_560.jpg

IMG_20131221_191219_086.jpg

IMG_20131221_191134_892.jpg

IMG_20140101_192728_346.jpg

IMG_20151113_170321_715.jpg

• Like 1

I have owned my 1972 240Z for a little over 6 weeks now (Dallas, TX Craiglist add featured on BAT) and still have not laid eyes on it.  My B-I-L did the inspection, purchase and storage for me until I finish my 1967 Airstream Caravel restoration and get up to Dallas (from Austin) to take it off his hands...can't wait.

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/03/13/stored-15-years-promising-1972-datsun-240z/

I have already purchased an early wide ratio (due to 3.54 gears) 5 speed and all the other necessary auto to manual conversion pieces.  just need to get it home....

Edited by David F

Agreed, the SU's will stay.  My BIL says it is a solid car and wanted to buy it from me if I did not want it.  No way, I have been looking off and on for a Z for years now.  Can't wait to jump in.

Current one about two years, but I was lucky enough to buy it back after selling it 2 years prior. I've bought and sold so many over the years I've lost track, but my first Z was a 70 I bought in 1989. 

I had a 73 VeloRosa conversion that was loads of fun. 

I got mine a little more than two years ago in Rancho Cucamonga. Poor car had been through a string of owners before I got it. Based on the documentation that was left in the glove box, it had some 4 owners in as many years and was stolen and recovered up in the high desert a few years back. That accounts for less than a fifth of the car's life; no idea about the rest of it!

I got my first one 31 years ago in Mechanicsburg, PA. It was a black 4-speed 1975 280Z. We took it for a test drive and the salesman asked for the key back. I told him that I used our 1980 200SX key. LOL I still have that Z today.

Chuck

Purchased a 71 in 1995 from an owner in Tacoma WA. Drove it mostly as a daily driver. Did sympathetic updates over the years: Ztherapy SUs, custom exhaust, and improved the interior. My ownership ended in Oct 2012 thanks to an 84 year old lady. I bought the salvage and kept the best parts to move to my current 72 that was a one owner car that had sat for over 15 yrs. First drove it in 2015 and then completed a complete repainted and rust repair in 2016. Currently waiting for the rechrome of bumpers, then adding the new LSD & 5 speed I purchased and have a full Zstory header and exhaust system ready to go on.
Ps; saving all of the stock parts.
"Enjoying the journey to an unknown final destination".

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I bought my first 71' from a used car lot in Arkansas 1976 after a pickup truck thought it was mating season with my VW Bug.  Paid about 3K for it.  The sold it in 79 for a little more.   My current one came from S GA 2014 from a "flipper" truck driver who found it in pieces and put it "kinda, sorta, mostly" back together.  His first buyer had backed out after seeing the floor pan (or lack thereof) on the passenger side and responded to my voice mail 2 weeks later that I had cash.  Paid 1800 and drove it home 2hrs away.

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 1

I bought a '76 in 1986 after my Dad kept taking my Camaro away every time I did something he didn't like, about once a month.  I had a savings account he didn't know about that my Mom started when they divorced.  Bought the Z and had it registered in my Mother's name and told him to drive that Camaro up his arse.  He was a big "buy American" guy back then so it really stung for him but about 5 years later my girlfriend slung a rod cap through the block of my 2nd Z.  A '78 that me and my Dad rebuilt together.  It wouldn't crank at first so he goes to work and ask his friends, he had the firing order set to a straight six Chevy or Ford, changed the wires around and BOOM ran like a champ.

• Like 1

In the spring of 93, I transferred to a new assignment at Travis AFB. I was now a captain which was kind of a transition from getting by and living money-wise. So, with some extra dough ready to burn a hole in my pocket, I thought I would get a hobby car. I was hoping to find an RX-7. I tried to make an offer on one, but it was already sold.

In June I found out about a 73 240Z for sale at the Lemon Lot on base. My girlfriend at the time knew the guy selling it. I took it for a test drive and decided to pull the trigger for $1800. It's a good thing I was ignorant about Z cars at the time, otherwise I might have walked away from this one. It had Weber downdraft carbs, 5 different tire brands (including a couple that were about down to the cord), and no caps on the brake reservoirs. I used it to learn about working on cars, and it held up despite the abuse. It's in my garage waiting for me to make the time to do right by it and fix all of my past mistakes. :)

Then in January 2008, I was cruising through Craigslist ads (before all of the robbers/killers started using it) and found a listing for a 70 roadster and 74 260Z. I made plans to see both on the same weekend. The Z was closer, so I went to see it first. It was running, but I told the guy that I would come look at it and see if I could help him get it running. He had it listed for $3200, but he said he was knocking off $700 since it wasn't running. I went through all sorts of diagnostics in no particular order, and then I found the distributor cap was FUBAR. I told him I would buy the car and bring a good cap with me the next day. I showed up, installed the cap, and it fired...after I replaced the fouled spark plugs. I paid him $2500 and drove it home. 

Of course, the plan was to sell the 73 when I got the 74, but then I couldn't bring myself to part with the 240Z. After a few weeks, my wife said, "You're not selling the other car, are you?" I replied, "Nope." She put up with that but then established a two-toy rule for cars.