IGNORED

SoFla 1977 280Z Build

FlyingScot

Well, picked the car up today - backstory can be found here.  1977 280z built 3/77.  Need to figure out a plan, but after going through the car for 2 hours I'm cautiously optimistic. The car is rougher than I remember, but it is 40 years old.  

• Paint is just ok - some parts were resprayed but poorly.  Found out it got scratched up in the garage during hurricane Andrew.
  • Could not find any heavy bondo magnet and tapping
  • Fires right up, cold compression (6->1) is 130, 140, 140, 133, 135, 137, 135
  • Underside, frame rails and floor pans look perfect.  It was coated years ago and did its job
  • only a few small areas of surface rust such as by radiator- but very minor
  • Dash and trim is perfect - a lifetime of low miles (50,800 not rolled) and garage kept
  • all the parts, spare tire and kit/jack.
  • new clutch, injectors, distributor cap
  • partial new exhaust

But - always a but, right? - a few things immediately clear:

• It really needs the current paint - original and respray - taken off and done right
  • I have 3 small areas of deep rust that need  to be cut, patch welded - both lower rear sills right behind the doors.  No idea why there.  And right under the gas cap. But all 3 need to taken care of.
  • Engine has had an EGR delete from long ago
  • interior is shot - rougher than looks in pictures.  
  • Interior plastic trim has aged badly and color faded.  Problem with the off white scheme
  • brake booster is dead, but no brake fluid rust hole under it - yet
  • drum brakes not working 
  • braking?  Make a wish because you are not stopping
  • some electrical gremlins
  • AC not working

I think seeing all of this I've just about decided to pull engine, windows, interior and get the rolling chassis stripped and painted right.  "Because I'm there..." recondition head, and check cylinders - decide what to do after that, see if I want or need to do bottom end too.  I was going to do suspension and brakes and drive a bit but now think I'll sprint to disassembly and paint  goal will be mostly stock but with carbon bumpers, black satin Konig rims, maybe BRE spook in CF.   Interior may be black leather with 240z diamond pattern on tunnel.  Goal is refreshed but nothing crazy - already have Eibachs, Tokico Illuminas, and bushing kits.  Rims 16x7 with 205/55.  Keep rear drums but front going to Toyota 4 pot.  With minimal bodywork needed ( crossed fingers) hope to have complete by Xmas.

At least that is the rough plan for now.  Not crazy but no expense (reasonable) spared to make this "right".  Now to find a good body and paint shop in Boca Raton / Ft. Lauderdale.  Pics below.  Comments, suggestions, questions.  Still deciding on this one.

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

Welcome to the club and the "hood" (I'm down in Key Biscayne). 

I've done a lot of work on my 1978 280Z locally (whatever I couldn't tackle myself) and I'm very satisfied with the results. Large doses of patience and supervision are always needed. You can check out my build thread on our cousin forum Hybrid Z http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/123252-280z-restomod-progress/  .

The paint and body man that did my job moved from his Hialeah shop but is still available at another Miami location. His name is Cris Gonzalez and is widely accepted as one of the very best in town. I used Shamrock (in North Miami) for upholstery and engine work has been done by Douglas Arditti at Fabshop Miami. 

If you need any further information I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

• 2 weeks later...

So - still getting my garage sorted and planning in place.  I've made a few initial decisions that will determine which direction I take on this build:

I'm going to get the engine rebuilt rather than redo it myself.  2 reasons.  1)Time - I will need the time to take apart and reassemble the entire car and building an engine alongside that is just another task 2)Skills / Results.  I'm a fair mechanic but don't have the tools or experience to deliver on an engine package the same way some builders do.  I'm seriously giving thought to DSI STR stage I or II with their ITB package.  Clean engine bay, just need to find a way to tune down here and confirm Megasquirt is what I want.  Fits in my budget (sort of - don't tell the wife) and would deliver on a lifetime of fun ;)  NA is where I'm staying, won't be a race car at most light fun autoX.

Restomod is target.  I want to personalize this a bit so staying strictly stock is not target - but neither is going crazy with body kits, paint, or suspension mods.  As noted, staying with current suspension just updated with basics.  No coilover.  Fender mirrors (I know, no one likes - I do), CF BRE air dam on stock 280z valance,MSA CF 240z bumpers and CF rear spoiler.  Black trim replacing chrome.  Interior will have diamond leather on tunnel, leather door cards and leather seats.  Either Interior innovations or local.  

Paint & Body.  I'm taking this down to a rolling chassis then turning over to a shop to fix the 3 rust patches and take it down to bare metal.  Still trying to decide what level of tear down - meaning do I keep the dash in, wiring looms, and brake lines but strip everything else?  Keeping original color (307) - what have others done / looking for guidance?  I want to do this "right" but not add work where I don't need to.

So - questions for the group:

1. Anyone have any comments on getting a built engine from DSI vs. having someone like Shamrock do the engine?  Knowing I am moving away from the stock EFI
  2. Removing dash, wiring, and brake lines would help ensure a good paint / body work.  Can you get wiring looms for these cars today?  I've run brake lines before and was pretty straightforward - any gotchas with the Z?
  3. Gotchas, advice, etc. as  I start on this?  A bit of a planner/engineer so always "game" out my projects before starting - find it helps me move faster, cheaper (rework) and deliver on better quality.  Looking to start teardown with engine pull in June - then moving on to rest of car. Want to be able to send rolling chassis to paint/body in August and then reassemble through the fall.

Your car looks good.  Nice find!

1).  I have a DSI STR stage III.  I deleted the EFI and added triple side drafts (OER's).  I also added the recommended harmonic damper and Electromotiv ignition.  The motor is incredibly strong and my car can go 0-60 in under 5 seconds.  In fact, it's quicker than my 350z NISMO by a healthy margin.  I have personally met Eiji at DSI.  He's a great guy and does terrific work.  

2). With regards to brake lines, the biggest gotcha is you need to have everything out of the car to run a one-piece line.  

You're dogleg rust is very typical for these cars.  Check under the battery and inside the rockers, too.  

39 minutes ago, ksechler said:

Your car looks good.  Nice find!

1).  I have a DSI STR stage III.  I deleted the EFI and added triple side drafts (OER's).  I also added the recommended harmonic damper and Electromotiv ignition.  The motor is incredibly strong and my car can go 0-60 in under 5 seconds.  In fact, it's quicker than my 350z NISMO by a healthy margin.  I have personally met Eiji at DSI.  He's a great guy and does terrific work.  

2). With regards to brake lines, the biggest gotcha is you need to have everything out of the car to run a one-piece line.  

You're dogleg rust is very typical for these cars.  Check under the battery and inside the rockers, too.  

Thank you - rougher than I expected in some ways, better in others.  Either way want to make this a car I can have fun with for 20 years so will immediately do the job "right" rather than kick can down the road.

The Battery and rockers look good now - lets see once the paint is shot off down to the primer/metal.  For your DSI stage III - do you have detonation problems with the compression?  That is the one thing giving me pause going from II to III.  I want reliability and something I can tune / work on myself.  Car will drive around South Florida and at times tour around Florida.

1 hour ago, FlyingScot said:

Thank you - rougher than I expected in some ways, better in others.  Either way want to make this a car I can have fun with for 20 years so will immediately do the job "right" rather than kick can down the road.

The Battery and rockers look good now - lets see once the paint is shot off down to the primer/metal.  For your DSI stage III - do you have detonation problems with the compression?  That is the one thing giving me pause going from II to III.  I want reliability and something I can tune / work on myself.  Car will drive around South Florida and at times tour around Florida.

Yes, I had some pinging.  I pulled the timing back a little and run premium pump gas.  No more pinging.  I'm sure I've given up a little power with the more conservative timing, but the car is so strong I haven't missed it.  

• Like 1