IGNORED

Wesley's Dream & The Journey of a '72 240Z

notWes

IMG_1792.JPGIMG_1688.JPG

Rip to the idea of a full original restoration. Resto-mod it is I've found a coolant leak in the rad and some oil near the fan mount, highly likely i'll be going aftermarket for the cooling system now. Additionally my tie rods are nearing the end of their days and those'll need some TLC asap. The vehicle runs great and i've been driving around the block pretending I'm diagnosing problems. Temp gauge and oil temp remain in safe ranges, i dont see any immediate cooling problems from the leak. However, the anxiety gauge is running rather high. It just occured to me that I should change all fluids too. Jeez my priority list is whack, my ideas whack, my cooling whack, my retrofit fan whack, but my car cool as fudge. My meme reference is also whack. Damn I'm too excited about having problems; problems that don't talk back are nice.

Side note: I've been reading about 280zx transmissions and they don't seem all that difficult to mate to the L24. I like the close ratio of all the gears as opposed to the 280z trans with awkwardly long gearing that people seem to not mind. Maybe i'm too influenced by other restomodders, any opinions here? Regardless, a 5speed is a Wes need. I'm working out pricing for those parts atm, also a 3.9 diff.. Oouh the money pit is going to look nice next Christmas.

Wes' inquiry of the day: What engine and transmission from the Z family do you enjoy most? (Or think you would enjoy most..)

I say an L24 with a 280zx 5 speed. I also say I dunno if that works.

Thanks for the read, more updates soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Wes, If you are going to tackle the cooling system I would advise you to do the entire system on the first go around, the system works very well in stock configuration but the inside water passages of the engine block and rad have to be CLEAN.

Rust and corrosion don't transfer heat very well so you need to get that crap out first, while the system is all still together run some good quality radiator flush through it and don't forget to open the heater valve as well. I have also used CLR on occasion and it worked well. Then after the engine cools off flush the whole system with fresh water from the garden hose until it runs clean. You will probably be the first guy in 40yrs to have cleaned that system so expect a lot of brown crap to come out. Then replace the rad, thermostat and maybe the water pump, no more anxiety gaugeLOL

The stock 4 spd tranny is a very stable fun unit to drive, a 5th gear is nice to have if you do a lot of highway.  Your Z looks great, a good example to build with.

Chris

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 6:12 AM, grannyknot said:

Wes, If you are going to tackle the cooling system I would advise you to do the entire system on the first go around, the system works very well in stock configuration but the inside water passages of the engine block and rad have to be CLEAN.

Rust and corrosion don't transfer heat very well so you need to get that crap out first, while the system is all still together run some good quality radiator flush through it and don't forget to open the heater valve as well. I have also used CLR on occasion and it worked well. Then after the engine cools off flush the whole system with fresh water from the garden hose until it runs clean. You will probably be the first guy in 40yrs to have cleaned that system so expect a lot of brown crap to come out. Then replace the rad, thermostat and maybe the water pump, no more anxiety gaugeLOL

The stock 4 spd tranny is a very stable fun unit to drive, a 5th gear is nice to have if you do a lot of highway.  Your Z looks great, a good example to build with.

Chris

Thanks for the tip and info! I was planning on replacing my whole rad with the mishimoto and grabbing an electric fan. The previous owner had set up an electric fan control that I want to reuse with a newer fan and shroud! The existing fan is mounted directly through the rad fins and me no like. I'm worried about using other chemicals on the chance it does something to the heat transfer formula or whatever the heck science does when things mix that shouldn't. Hahah, that's a good idea! I do want to get improved parts as opposed to staying original now.. 

Thanks for the input on your eng/tran! Soon I will decide. But not so soon will I purchase the parts heh. 

On 5/4/2017 at 8:08 PM, Casey_z said:

I run a  5 speed transmission and block from a 78 280z

The original head has been worked along with the original carbs and good cam gives miles of smiles:)

Do you have the 280zx transmission mated to that L28 by any chance? Haha right on, glad to hear that :) When you say worked do you mean overhauled? 

5 hours ago, notWes said:

I'm worried about using other chemicals on the chance it does something to the heat transfer formula or whatever the heck science does when things mix that shouldn't.

Radiator or Engine flush will only improve the heat transfer, it won't hurt anything.

• Like 1

The transmission is from a 78 280z and the head has the larger 280z valves
The 3.9 differential is what makes the combination work.

I've heard/read wonderful things about the 3.9 diff! Definitely on my list. Although as of late I've been considering a full RB20 swap because of all the new leaks i keep discovering.

Radiator or Engine flush will only improve the heat transfer, it won't hurt anything.

I agree with this statement, however i have read that mixing certain chemicals can break down the coolant's formula resulting in reduced performance of heat transfer. I have also read that i should never mix coolant brands for the same reason. I'm probably worrying way too much