IGNORED

e12-80 removed need to close up the hole?

kully 560

You've done an uncommon thing so won't see many replies about what people have actually done.  If the E12-80 is dead you could just file a groove for the wires and use it as the cover.  Even if it's still good, you could leave it on.

no I may have to make something up ,the e12-80 is almost brand new. I was reading up yesterday some old post that some people even j mortensen  was one that I remember ran the msd 6al with the e12-80 removed and suggested to wire it up using the red and green wire from the dissy to the violet and green from the msd 6al. I used the red to violet and keep green to green.the car ran nice seems to pull better through the rpm range , idles the same , but has better throttle response. what triggers the 6al is the dissy when the e 12-80 is removed the distributor I guess acts like a switch. on one side of the 6al is a molded plug that is used for this purpose it has the violet and green wire . I have read that a few people have done this way to remove the e12-80 to eliminate one failure . now if the mds fails I still have the e 12-80 for backup. but there was a performance gain here when removed not a lot but better throttle response. I will see how the car starts in the morning when cold as I almost always need choke. I was hoping the ones who did this mod had a way to close off the opening. ps I remember somebody was saying that you are controlling a module with a module like the e12-80 with the msd 6al. the mds should run alone or e12-80 alone. this was in a old posts , so I tried it and like it better.

Edited by kully 560

It's just a shape with two screws that hold it on.  Fab something up out of plastic.  You could probably use scissors on a coffee can lid and it would make a nice shiny flat cover.

The 6AL has two official trigger options, plus I think that you can trick it in to working with other methods (apparently, since JSM and others do it).  The same way people use the GM HEI module in place of the ignorant on the turbo cars.  

But, summarizing everything you said - if you want to have the E12-80 readily available as a back-up just leave it on and run the wires out from behind it.  I'm sure that you can create a gap without harming the function of the E12 module.  Otherwise you have to remove your new cover and reinstall the E12 which would probably be taking up space in your glove box.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/msd-6425.pdf

6AL triggers.PNG

yes I will fab up something with  maybe a thin piece of aluminum with a grommet for the wires to exit out. I will probably just make up a small wire harness  2 wires with stack-ons for the e12-80 and leave it in the car. it is just 2 screws to hold it on and 2 stack-ons on each side a 5 minute change tops. just to let you know the car starts  better when cold very little cranking and starts right up. with the 2 modules hooked up together I had to do a lot more cranking .

Edited by kully 560