IGNORED

A few photos of my clutch/engine gasket replacement!

Replacing the clutch and exhaust system and took a few photos along the way.  All has gone fairly smoothly.  The flywheel teeth are a bit chewed up in one place.  New ring gear ordered. Not sure what caused that but a new starter went on about 3 months ago.  Not sure if the old starter drive did the damage or the new starter.  The new starter began to make a hard rattle about two days ago....I am working to see if the two events are related....

Old Clutch 3.JPG

Old Clutch 4.JPG

Old Clutch 5.JPG

Ring  Gear 3.JPG

Ring Gear 4.JPG

Timing chain 2.JPG

Timing Chain 3.JPG

Oil  pump.JPG

Oil Strainer 2.JPG

Oil Pan 2.JPG

New Clutch.JPG

Old Exhaust 1.JPG

New Exhaust 2.JPG

• Like 1

So the exhaust install went well, no major issues....nice deep throaty sound...... But....almost immediately after driving I noticed a noise I can only describe as a clatter coming from the rear of the car.   You can hear it at idle....barely and a little when you rev the engine..... but when the car is under load it is much more noticeable.

To change the engine gaskets the distributor was removed....so as the noise has a detonation type sound to it I first went there first and asked local professional advice.....their assessment is that the sound is not detonation at all or the u-joints and the drive shaft which I had considered......but their suggestion is that the clattering type sound is coming from the new Motorsport Auto exhaust....specifically the muffler.  I have never had a muffler make a clattering sound at idle and then get louder under load.  

The system is tight under the car with no rubbing and touching of other parts.  Next steps are to remove the tip and see if that makes a difference.....then remove the muffler and shake it a bit to see if anything is loose...  I called Motorsport and they have been nice about it.  They asked that I replicate the sound, record it by video and send it to them.....They have not heard of this happening either.

Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Exhaust install 1.JPG

Exhaust install 2.JPG

Exhaust install 3.JPG

Edited by Dogariffic
add photos

Actually 1oclock is where the S pipe connects and it should tilt like 1 to 7 looking towards the rear of your car from the front of the drivers rear tire. The output is centered.

That's how both of mine worked out after a lot of reading (mostly looking at pictures).

I can post photos when I'm home with my PC, tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

I worked as a Quality Control Technician in an OEM exhaust and muffler factory ( Arvin and later ArvinMeritor) and have seen mufflers not properly spot-welded and the internals coming undone, 

usually operator error or spot-welder improperly adjusted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Hold the phone, I was backwards.

The centered side should connect to the S pipe. The offset should be at the bottom of the rear side.

Still angled 1 to 7 though. Sorry about that, it's confusing as hell.

20170410_155502.jpg

20170410_155351.jpg

20170410_155254.jpg

i agree. the muffler should tuck up in there so nice you cant see it from the rear of the car