IGNORED

280Z 5th gear synchro's gone bad?

FunkytownZ

47 minutes ago, FunkytownZ said:

i was also thinking it might be the boot because I added those shift boot clips to hold the leather boot in place and thinking when it tightened the boot it might be interfering with 5th gear and the long reach.

so you'd recommend removing the leather boot AND the rubber boot?  or just the rubber boot?

No, does not clunk in 5th and no other gears clunk either

I would remove both and test it. It will be noisy, but you can also see what is happening, if the transmission is moving around etc.

If a transmission mount is sloppy, the transmission can move around and all you see is the gear stick jumping out of gear. The console is blocking your view of what is really happening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

I would remove both and test it. It will be noisy, but you can also see what is happening, if the transmission is moving around etc.

If a transmission mount is sloppy, the transmission can move around and all you see is the gear stick jumping out of gear. The console is blocking your view of what is really happening.

will do tonight!

T minus 4 days until the Loco Coyote run with Cowtown Z Club - need to get this gear figured out.

58 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Here's that thread of mine

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/55457-5-speed-tranny-any-ideas/

The boots can hinder the shifter for sure. 8^)

DSC01458.thumb.JPG.37ee87753f243c90e8ce3c18b9494005.jpeg

i don't even have the inner shift boot on the left!  I'm guessing that one provides some volume inside the outer shift boot so that the outer boot doesn't interfere with the shifter...

So I took all the boots off and everything and it shifted into 5th the first try around 55 mph. Tried it again 4 times after that and it popped back - some more violent than others.

I notice the left side of the shift area is smooth, but anything to the right (5th and reverse) you have to force the shifter to the right a little bit and after it pops its smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile