IGNORED

Test report of "HLS30Q (Z Europe model) countermeasures High speed stability "

kats

Hello,

I think the best performance 240Z is Europe model, after seeing this report.
I try to show and 
I do my best , I hope you enjoy.

First of all, Nissan started development faithfully from February 1970 for the Euro model . Not before the beginning of its production.

Nissan did not think about being famous in Europe? Or they wanted to do the development without hurrying up?

Anyway March 1971, they finally set the spec like this,

Final Europe version 
Stabilizer bar front 22mm / rear 20mm
Stiffer spring front & rear 
Stiffer shock absorber front & rear 
Front height minus 15mm
Spoilers front & rear

With this spec, the optional magnesium wheels (same as Z432 )would add more better handling and performance, I saw some car has the wheels in Europe.

One interesting note is, there is a "Portugal 
Version "
This is like a Z432, because spring rate and stabilizer bars are the same. Not as sporty as Final Europe version but it has a little more sporty feelings than others.

Kats

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

• Like 2

Great info Kats!  You sure find unique and interesting information.  Sherlock!!! 

Given the defacto world's best small sports car producing area was Europe and that the export 240z Sports was tuned for USA market and the Fairlady HS30 for Japan, it seems prudent for Datsun to make a Euro Spec when entering that market.

The Australian market Z is interesting in that it does not have the side markers and the front turn lights are clear.  I like its looks the best :)

datsun-240z-260z-1-500.jpg

1971 aus.jpg

aus 1972.jpg

i236648.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gnosez said:

Thanks for sharing this.

Can someone share pictures of a Portuguese market 240Z so I can compare them to other European , Japanese and US models.

'Entreposto' HLS30 walkaround:

Edited by HS30-H
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, moelk said:

Alan, headlight covers weren't standard items on those cars or were they?

//Andreas

I'm not sure the spec was that firmly fixed. I've seen a lot of the Portuguese market cars wearing them and Entreposto certainly optioned their cars up through their great leverage with Nissan, so likely a lot of their cars got them. Always exceptions to the rule, I guess. And the change in European lighting regulations (minimum height) certainly made a mess...

More on topic: It's interesting that much of the refinement work on the HLS30Q is framed as 'Stability' (especially in cross-winds) and 'Safety' (in control), when in effect it is making a sports-oriented car even more 'sporty'.  

• Like 2

Before that, I found new today,

about a department code(ID) , we talked about it before in another thread, very first S30 prototype making sequence .

Each car has each department to belong,

we did not know what "K11" means. 

Now I see K11 is Dai Ichi Soukatsu Ka (general affairs section No.1) in Dai Ichi Sharyo Sekkei Ka (Chassis layout/ mechanical design department No.1 )

I have Nissan footage books( Alan you have them too) ,this 1964-1973 has a lot of interesting information.

Please see the attached pictures.

Kats

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

• Like 2

Alan, you pointed out Takahashi - Tori Shimari Yaku (director) on the top left of the test report, I found him !

In the colored figure, the very left is Mr.Hara (director) who was also very important the birth of S30, Mr.K and Mr.Matsuo and other designers and engineers are all saying very good memories about him.Mr.Hara was a car guy, I guess. 

Next him is Mr.Takahashi , we have no idea about him.

The third picture is Mr.Hara.

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

• Like 2

On 04/04/2017 at 8:18 AM, HS30-H said:

'Entreposto' HLS30 walkaround:

That does seem to comprise all the best elements of the various markets.  Those skinny wheels(by modern standards) look great.  Looks light on its feet.  Just needs to be Orange or Safari Gold.

Were the various european specs considered factory 'specs' or importer models?

• Like 2