IGNORED

Help with timing in LA

lordsinclair

Hi all, I've just upgraded to the later E12-80 distributor in my 1972 240z and now the car won't start. Only backfires. 

Im looking for someone who could come to me here in the valley to help with checking I've wired the new distributor in correctly and to check and adjust the timing for me. 

Any local members here who can wield a stroboscope?

Cheers

What guide did you use in doing the wiring? Did you get the ZX distributor mount? Are you sure you have a good ignition module? I had one arrive DOA on a rebuilt distributor. Post some photos of your work. Be sure to detail where you got the positive and negative for the module.

Thanks for the reply. The car started and ran fine before I did the swap, so the coil I know works and the correct mount came with the new distributor. I used the diagram from here as a guide for the wiring

<http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html>

As well as a post from another forum here

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/3593-fitting-280zx-distributor-in-a-240z/

Have a feeling it's a timing issue now. But to be frank I need help now so if anyone is local and could help...?

Ok fixed the problem. For anyone else upgrading to the E12-80 distributor from the stock 72 240z one I had to change the position of the plug leads on the new distributor 180 degrees, so number 1 went to number 6, then followed the firing order of the plug leads as usual. 

I'll have the timing adjusted professionally but it now runs as before. 

Thanks for the replies and the offer of help.

cheers