IGNORED

Swapping 280z wheels on my 240z with aftermarket 15 X 7 wheels

jalexquijano

My1972 240z has arleady been restored and painted. What comes next? Swapping the wheels which are 14" and still not the original as they were used on 280z model. However, as i still was undecided i installed a Brand new set of 185 R14 tires until i get some feedback from the fórum:

I really like the american racing Wheel set:

https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/american-racing-15x7-polished-slot-mag-wheel-kit-0-offset-4x114-3-vna695748-datsun-240z-260z-280z-280zx-510/

My car has a 280z 5 speed transmission and would like to know if changing the wheels from the 280z type to this aftermarket set will affect the driveability or performance of the car. Once done i am also planning on installing the front air dam bumper manufactured by XENON.

Any opinions or recommedations??

Datsun side view.jpg

Datsun mechanic.jpg

280zx%20cap.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

but mine is 4 slot!

More importantly, your hubs are 4 bolt, so the wheel pictured in the link you posted is not the proper wheel for your Z.  Ask them to show you a picture of the wheel with a 4 bolt mounting pattern.  I kind of like the wheels you have, but if you like 15" wheels, Konig makes nice vintage look wheels for your Z.

Changing  to 15" wheels will impact the accuracy of your speedometer reading slightly, so check it with a GPS to mentally calibrate.

Dennis

so you believe i should stay with these wheels? I was wondering if should go from 185 tire to 205 so the car looks bigger while keeping the stock rim? i want to be able to install the front nice xenón air dam and due to the height of these wheels dont know if it will be scratched while driving.

47 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

so you believe i should stay with these wheels? I was wondering if should go from 185 tire to 205 so the car looks bigger while keeping the stock rim? i want to be able to install the front nice xenón air dam and due to the height of these wheels dont know if it will be scratched while driving.

Has your car been lowered?  If not, the air dam should work with either 14" or 15" wheels and tires as it's designed for the stock Z.  I believe you should have whichever wheels make you feel really good about your Z.  That's what all those wheels and aftermarket accessories are all about - making the Z look good in the eye of the beholder and creating 'warm fuzzies" for the owner.

Dennis

• Like 1