IGNORED

Making a one legged into limited slip

TheErictag

Ok so I've sourced a r200 out of a 79to put into my 240 but what is the best way to make it two legged .. I know a good rear end shop in the area but any of y'all ztards have a link I can go learn a bit before I go in to the shop babbling about buying a queef or some other bs to em.. LOL @queef. Quaiffe??

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Eric, I will offer my experience for what it’s worth.

I recently did this conversion to my (Series II) 72 240z so that is where my knowledge is at. I is always helpful when you start a new thread that you should provide the basics about your car. As I recall you have a Series III 240. 4-speed?  And you have acquired 79 R200?

Do you know what model the diff came out of?  280zx 2+2 4-speed? 280zx 5 speed? 280zx-GL?

Do you have:

29 spline stub axles?

R200 Mustache Bar?

Half shafts that connect to your stub axles and your outer Hubs?

mounts for diff both front and back?

what condition your Ring & pinion are in?

Drive shaft, will it work with the current transmission and the R200?

What is the gear ratio in the R200? Are you going to keep?  Will it work well with your current transmission ratio? How are you going to use your car?

Buying a LSD is a search your will need to read up on. The searches specified above is where to find the research. Expect to pay $900 - $1500. Installation cost into the R200 could be around $500+- depending on the condition of the Diff. Most seller require proof of a professional to install it, if you want to maintain any warranty coverage

Last can you do the installation in to your car yourself?

Lets know where we can assist.

• Like 1

You might want to check the ratio. The 79 280ZX is a bit odd in the ZX line up.

280ZX 1979 2+2 4 speed        R200  3.364:1

280ZX 1979 2+2 5 speed        R200  3.7:1  ( also had wide ratio 5 speed like 280Z)

280ZX GL 1979                         R200  3.7:1

The coupes used a R180 with 3.364:1 ratio.

The 2+2 manuals went to the 3.9:1 in 1980 and all NA manuals (coupe and 2+2) were 3.9:1 from 1981 - 1983.

I have a 3.7:1 behind a close ratio 5 speed. The tranny and diff didn't come from the same donor car. The PO did the transmission and I changed the diff.

The diff improved the drivability. First was too high with the 3.545:1 diff. I like it.

• Like 1