IGNORED

"Thee" SU Float Level Tool

Never saw that before, wonder if it's from England. Nice packaging, etc.

I would rather have the glass extend up a little higher, so it a bowl overflowed (it can happen while adjusting floats) the gas would run out the vent on the lid (through a hose routed to a catch can or container) instead of out the glass. Also, looks like it would obstruct an air cleaner, stock or otherwise. A sight glass has other uses besides setting the floats. It can be useful sometimes to verify that there's the right amount gas in the bowls (that the valves are working properly), while doing a test drive.

There's also a nifty sightglass from M-C for about the same price that has the right thread I think; it would probably obstruct an air cleaner, though.

I bought a low-tech version from ZTherapy for about half that price. Had to modify one of them so it wouldn't leak (maybe i got a bad one), but it can set so the plastic tube outlet is higher than the lid vent. Also, it can be used with an air cleaner, K&N's anyway.

Pretty cool, though.

Right, Arizona....

The M-C ones are glass, otherwise I would have got them. Probably not for automotive. Kind of big, too, probably wouldn't go behind the K&N's.  If these would go behind the K&N's maybe I would just leave them there, with a cap or plug or something.

If I was at Hitachi or SU "back in the day"  I would have made the bowls so the whole darn thing is adjustable up and down by 1cm.... forget bending the float tabs over and over again.

Mikuni and SK have externally adjustable floats but it is a somewhat complex set of parts and the bowl is internal.

Just raising and lowering an external bowl seems to be the easy route for the early SU design.

Edited by 240260280

44 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

If I was at Hitachi or SU "back in the day"  I would have made the bowls so the whole darn thing is adjustable up and down by 1cm.... forget bending the float tabs over and over again.

Mikuni and SK have externally adjustable floats but it is a somewhat complex set of parts and the bowl is internal.

Just raising and lowering an external bowl seems to be the easy route for the early SU design.

I've thought about making the bolt that mounts the fuel bowl into an eccentric/offset bolt with a 0.5 cm offset... Someday I'll have time to make one...., two I guess.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

zKars, An eccentric bolt on the bowl mount is a really interesting idea. I think I'll poke around with that too when I get a chance. So simple!

That's me, simple.