IGNORED

78 280Z Electrical Fan (Not how to install)

kutukutu1

Hello all,

Ive been going thru my 78 280z engine harness which had a harness fire and i am fixing that.

This is not a question on how ot install an E fan, the question comes up because while going thru the wiring diagram, i found a connection that says that it goes to the electric fan sub harness.

My z came with an aftermarket E fan, but it was not plugged in. Can i use that connection shown on the diagram for my efan? Ive looked online and cant seem to find anything that mentions a stock efan for 280z.

Also, on my thermostat housing, i have what it seems to be a sensor that would control an e fan. My Tstat housing has 4 sensors, the ECT, the gauge coolant temp, the thermo time switch and a 4th sensor, 2 wires towards the driver side of the engine. 

I looked at my 77 280z and in that hole, it just has a threaded plug as per the FSM.

Anyone know what threat that is? Is it stock? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Without knowing what else is on the circuit, what controls the circuit, what gauges the wires are, and what is the power draw of the fan, I wouldn't recommend it. 

Do you have the stock fan mounted on the engine? How about posting a picture of where the electric fan is mounted?

I dont have a picture right now, i can post one later. I know for sure its not a stock efan. Its mounted in front of AFCO aluminum radiator as a push fan with some brackets that are clearly not stock. I just havent seen info online on this circuit.

Capture 2 shows where the wires come from in the fuse box. The WR only comes from the fuse box. The L comes from the fuse box, goes to that efan sub harness from the first picture, also splits to go into the combination gauges and kickdown switch for automatics.

I am not as concerned with using this circuit, i can always do my own efan wiring, but i thought, why not if its already there.

My biggest question is if anyone has seen a sensor on the T stat housing like i have? What thread is that port? If you know anything about it, where can i get a replacement sensor?

Ill post a pic of the sensor later today.

Capture2.PNG

I've seen that "cooling fan" circuit before but never seen an actual fan.  There are a few things in the 280Z diagrams that don't seem to exist, but they persist in the diagrams.  Have you actually found the plug at the end of the wire?  I've never seen it.   According to the diagram that circuit starts at the fusebox and also runs the defogger.  It's a 20 amp fuse.

Most of the Z car plumbing is BSPT.  It's stock, to Nissan, but it's not common.

The stock factory fan and fan clutch work really well.  No big benefit to an E-fan.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

I agree, i have not found the plug either, which is why i was searching and found zero information.

I would like to use that 4th threaded hole in the Tstat to use for my efan, anyone know the threads? The sensor that it currently has is no good.

Alright, so i took out the sensor and to my amazement, the previous owner just got the original plug, drilled a hole in it and put one of the aftermarket radiator temp probes and rtv'd it to seal it.

I might do the same thing, since it was not leaking, but anyone try this switch? Does anyone know if it fits in that unused hole? Looks like it might.

https://zcardepot.com/electrical/switches-and-relays/electric-cooling-fan-switch.html

That's not a bad idea, actually.  The guts pull right out and you're left with a brass well/adapter for whatever you want to put in there.

The ZCD part doesn't have temperature specs.  It might just be the switch for the injector cooling fan, which is set at way high temperature.  I spent some time looking for a switch that was set lower and found that BMW had several.  Plus you might look at whatever the Ford Taurus uses since that's the popular E-fan setup.

Get on the Google, find the temperature you're looking to start at, and make it work in the adapter the PO made for you.

Edit - don't some fan controllers use a sensor, and a programmable, or settable, system?  Might be better than just an on-off switch.  Tunable.

Edited by Zed Head

9 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

That's not a bad idea, actually.  The guts pull right out and you're left with a brass well/adapter for whatever you want to put in there.

The ZCD part doesn't have temperature specs.  It might just be the switch for the injector cooling fan, which is set at way high temperature.  I spent some time looking for a switch that was set lower and found that BMW had several.  Plus you might look at whatever the Ford Taurus uses since that's the popular E-fan setup.

Get on the Google, find the temperature you're looking to start at, and make it work in the adapter the PO made for you.

Edit - don't some fan controllers use a sensor, and a programmable, or settable, system?  Might be better than just an on-off switch.  Tunable.

Injector cooling fan? Ill look at the Taurus and see what they got.

Some controllers do have a tuneable controller, but i really hate to have that box somewhere under the dash or in the engine bay. It looks out of place.

If the switch works, i am good with simple. :)