IGNORED

Buying 1975 280z and have some questions!

jimmyjayt

Hello! Im looking at buying a 1975 280z. I found one for sale for $5500. Its a 75 280z with a 4 speed manual. 76000 miles on original motor. I got to test drive the car today. All of the gears work well, it shifts really smoothly and drives really well. Headlights and side lights were just replaced, blinkers work just fine. Gauges are all there and work. A/c isnt working but thats normal. 

Problems: 
1. the driver seat is a little rough
2. theres no carpet
3. The car drives just fine up until about 3500 rpm and then struggles. Owner said he adjusted the timing and it helped a little but the problem is still there. I would like to know if this is potentially a big issue or just something like a fuel pump or timing issue. About how much ballpark would it cost to fix this issue?
4. There are two small patches of rust in both front wheel wells. The rust isnt visible unless you peak in behind the wheel. It has been treated with rust proofing spray as a temporary fix. There is no rust on anything structural or on the exterior of the body or on the floor of the car. 

I would like to buy this car with the intent on fixing it up a bit and then selling it. Is 5500 or a bit less a good price that would leave me room to fix the car and turn a profit? If i can fix the motor problem and do up the interior a bit whats a normal price for this car?

Thanks!

If your hearts not in keeping the car but in only flipping it, walk away. The rust is there, you just haven't seen it yet. The motor issues may or may not resolve quickly or easily and at $5500 for an unrestored 280, there won't be a lot left for you after all the issues are fixed.
My advice? Leave it for an enthusiast as is.... flip something else

" 4. There are two small patches of rust in both front wheel wells. The rust isnt visible unless you peak in behind the wheel. It has been treated with rust proofing spray as a temporary fix. There is no rust on anything structural or on the exterior of the body or on the floor of the car.  "

This points to a larger issue.  I don't believe that there is "no rust on anything structural..."  There will be rust inside the frame rails and rockers.  Doglegs are probable shot.  This is probably a respray deal.  You won't be doing the flipping, you are probably being flipped.  I could be wrong... post pictures.  

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

If your hearts not in keeping the car but in only flipping it, walk away. The rust is there, you just haven't seen it yet. The motor issues may or may not resolve quickly or easily and at $5500 for an unrestored 280, there won't be a lot left for you after all the issues are fixed.
My advice? Leave it for an enthusiast as is.... flip something else

The plan is the flip a couple cars so I can get some cash on the side, learn more about these cars and hopefully earn enough to get myself one and do it up myself 

1 hour ago, ksechler said:

" 4. There are two small patches of rust in both front wheel wells. The rust isnt visible unless you peak in behind the wheel. It has been treated with rust proofing spray as a temporary fix. There is no rust on anything structural or on the exterior of the body or on the floor of the car.  "

This points to a larger issue.  I don't believe that there is "no rust on anything structural..."  There will be rust inside the frame rails and rockers.  Doglegs are probable shot.  This is probably a respray deal.  You won't be doing the flipping, you are probably being flipped.  I could be wrong... post pictures.  

Here's the rust patches. These are older pictures and the spots have since been treated so they don't spread. When I saw the car in person I looked closely everywhere in the engine bay, all over the body, under the car at the floorboards, frame rails etc and did not find any more rust. This car was supposedly garage kept for most of its life but it's here in Salt Lake City so the rust is practically unavoidable. I'm also curious as to what these cars are worth if they run and drive well with low miles, have nice interiors, and decent paint just so I can get an idea of what the market for these cars looks like. I have to say driving this car was a thrill and I fell in love immediately and cannot wait to be able to look for one to just keep for myself. 

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

You are most likely not going to see a profit but you will learn a lot about these cars which is great fun and worth every penny. 

That's kind of what I'm hoping for. I've been wantin one of these cars for a long time and I figure maybe if I can flip a couple I could possibly make some money on the side I can use to put into my own z in the future and learn what to look out for when purchasing one for myself and learn how to work on them and what not. 

You would learn a lot about these cars but there will be no money to be made flipping this one.

Both shocks shown are gone. Fluid has leaked out. That means the brake hoses are rotten as well.

Then go to rear and repeat. Then paint and detail your work. Then fix engine issues. We have not even seen the engine compartment.

Or the interior for that matter. Maybe a good car to fix and keep. But to flip? Run away and run fast. IMO.

If I were you I'd try to find a way to keep this one. You need to make new "triangle" braces to replace the rusted ones. I've done it several times. Cut out all of that rust, make an inner fender patch and then weld on the "triangles" over them like the factory did. From what little I see of the car I think it's going to be pretty solid.

Chuck

21 minutes ago, Lumens said:

You would learn a lot about these cars but there will be no money to be made flipping this one.

Both shocks shown are gone. Fluid has leaked out. That means the brake hoses are rotten as well.

Then go to rear and repeat. Then paint and detail your work. Then fix engine issues. We have not even seen the engine compartment.

Or the interior for that matter. Maybe a good car to fix and keep. But to flip? Run away and run fast. IMO.

Just put up some photos of the car. I don't have one of the interior but I did get to sit in it in person and it was all there except the carpet and radio. The passenger seat was in good shape but the driver seat had a tear.