IGNORED

Brakes locked up

Dave WM

New problem pops up on me today. I was out in traffic an noticed the brakes starting to lock up, almost no travel, I barely get it off the road in time as it was clearly getting worse. Stuck in a parking lot with no tools, and forgot my phone. I after some head scratching (my head on the break pedal laying on the floorboard looking up at it) I noticed the lock nut on the pedal stop did not look right. Must have been when I installed a new MC and was messing with the pedal height. Anyway what was happening was every time I depressed the pedal, the stop screw must have backed out just a bit, reducing the free travel. It prob was over a long period of time and I just did not notice the diminishing travel. Finally it got to the point where there was no travel and when I applied the brake and it backed out a tiny bit more, the brake never fully released. Since the lock nut was so loose I just spun the adj bolt back in to regain the free travel and all was well, at least until I got a chance to tighten up the lock nut (thanks Jeff).

• Like 1

Anytime! And it's 12mm nut!  

Still, that was very good you figured it out so quickly. 

After you left I went and looked at 70 vin 24xx car that I forgot about was around. He wants 5k for it and almost as rusty as the other one that is for sale locally. 

Edited by JSM