IGNORED

75 280z Ball joints

Dave WM

Easier than I figured it would be. car on jacks, tires off 17mm strut bolts off, lift the strut of the steering knuckle, did not disconnect any brake calipers or lines, just moved it back, Caste nut, BFH with the knuckle supported on a 2*6, a light tap and the knuckle pops off, leave the tie rod attached just move away. next up the 2 14mm and pull the TC rod off. Now I went a bit more than prob had to, loosen the control arm bushing and remove the nut, pull the entire control arn off. I did this mainly to clean it up, and I wanted to see how the bushing looked. It was fine, so the new ones I was waiting on can just be spare parts. It seemed nice firm with no signs of break down  of the rubber. I was not looking forward to pressing out that bushing anyway.

back the ball joint, remove the tow remaining nuts pull the old ball joint out, clean the control arm in some hot soapy water, blow dry, install the new ball joint, reinstall the control arm nut (bolt not torqued, that when its on the ground), put on the steering knuckle, torque the castle nut to speck, cotter pin, clean up the steering knuckle, reinstall the O ring that seals the strut to the knuckle, reinstall the 17mm bolts, torque them, re install the TC rod with the 14mm and done.

forgot I started by pulling the sway bar, nuts on the control arms and the mounting clamps. the rubbers were shot, I bought a moog kit, but it looked kinda cheesy so I reused the links and just use the rubber parts. the rubber mounts looked fine so they can stay. Will reinstall the sway bar after I finish the other ball joint (getting late).

• Like 2

finished up today, second one went much faster due to learning curve. Maybe an hour from start to finish this time. One thing I forgot was to torque the control rod bushing bolts after letting the suspension settle. Will do that tomorrow. The sway bar is much tighter now I took it for a test drive no big improvement that I can notice, maybe a little less body roll on a tight turn. It did seem to have less bump steer but that is really hard to gauge. Best part is I don't have to look at that greasy mess under the ball joints. I did save the old ones as they look OE. did not any play infact were very stiff. the boot was gone. I will prob clean them up flush with solvent and examine. If not bad will get some new boots and stash them away.